Why did you pick bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oliver, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I know this topic has been raised a few times but i love reading the responses.
    For me its because bass can change everything about the music, follow melody, be lead, stay at the back, be simple, be complex, its the foundation of music.

We didnt find bass, bass found us....

Please tell me why you play bass over everything else.

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Uh, I don't know. Way to make the question all touchy feely! :p

I just play because it's fun.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I play bass because I can. I also play guitar and drums for the same reason. I don't play piano because I'm not very good at it.
  4. Err, Isnt there a thread still ging tittled "What made you pick bass??"

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cuz there are so damn many of them around my apartment.
  6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I was asked to. So I did it as a favour. Now I'm the one who feels the move was in my favour.
  7. Bently

Bently Guest

Jul 3, 2005
    Saltillo, Mississippi
    Because the low notes make me orgasm, and occasionally crap in my pants.
  8. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Mr. Rogers. Anyone rembember the episode where Mr. Speedy-Delivery brings over a video of a tour of a "bass-violin" factory. And then the king or whatever in the land of make-believe has a "bass-violin" festival. I think that was the biggest factor in me wanting to play bass, besides it being the biggest and coolest looking instrument.
  9. cause I like to please the women when they sit on my rig.
  10. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I picked bass in the first place because I couldn't get my fingers on a guitar string without hitting another (my hands are massive, I've not met anyone with bigger hands than me yet). Shortly after, I fell in love with the tone, feel, size and power of the bass... I just have to laugh at guitars now... they're just screetchy show off instruments to me (unless the musician is a musician, technical and VERY good). When I pick one up, I dwarf it... I feel like I'm a giant. It just doesn't suit me, my playing style, my hands or my body.

I play bass with an ultimate passion now... I can't get enough of it. I love holding down a groove... I love keeping the band in time (and laughing at the guitarists who can't listen to anything but themselves)... I love starting a simple bassline, and a drummer'll kick in a funky beat and then the keyboard / guitar will kick in the melody... feels so freaking good!!!!
  11. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I started playing bass because we didn't have a drummer and I needed to emulate the kick drum.... oh wait... that's Larry Graham...

I started playing in the mid-80's and the new wave British Invasion was just taking hold. I just connected with the grooves from bands like the Simple Minds and the Smiths.
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Because it felt like coming home :)
  13. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    My best friend played a guitar and he needed a bass player so i started to play one....later of course i fell in love with the tone and with the instrument itself.
  14. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I had a classical background in piano and pipe organ, transitioning into jazz. I did a lot of blues / boogie when I was around Ann Arbor, and more recently became interested in Teddy Wilson, Dave McKenna, and other pianists with interesting left hands. So when my son picked up drums, I bought a bass from the store. My wife and daughters sort of figure 'myea ... another hobby' :eyebrow: but I've stuck with it.

Because of my background, I've tried to conceptualize bass music in the same way I would piano. I've avoided tabulature, and worked on building an instinctive feel for the notes, scales, intervals on the bass. I'm not there yet (I doubt this really ever happens) but I keep improving, and it gets more fun the more I know. It's not nearly as mentally intense as the piano, and I like that.
  15. I play bass because i got one really cheap and was bored with guitar at the time
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  17. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    When I was 11 my best buddy played guitar and I played piano. We were going to start a punk rock band. Well, there ain't no piano in punk, so I got a bass.

That was 16 years ago. Bass is such a part of who I am now. It's funny to think of how it started.
  18. I started because I like the tone and feel of low notes on the scale.

Substitute steel guitar for piano in Westland's statement and it fits me to a "T".
  19. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    I played guitar for about 10 years first. I wasn't very flashy but I was a great rhythm player. So I joined an original funky band as the rhythm guitarist. The band did well for a few years as I played mostly chordal stuff, but as we progressed I started writing a lot of our tunes that were based on melodic single-note rhythm lines. Everyone liked the tunes but the bass player, who couldn't seem to fit in. So when we lost him, I took over bass duties. That was 4 years ago and 2 bands ago and I haven't picked up a guitar since.

20. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    because creating and playing music is very fun, i didnt consider a guitar, piano or drums or whatever, i was fixed on to play the bass.