1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did you pick bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ScenicRoute, Apr 1, 2009.

1. BASSaSuperNova

BASSaSuperNova

Mar 21, 2009
    i heard jaco play and thought "what the heck, a bass can sound like that?!" ...my choice was done from there on.

2. Safari

Safari

Feb 6, 2009
    Atlanta
    Violin - Piano - Bass - Guitar - Bass

Needed a bassist for a band and already had equipment and knew how to play. . .

Now I just need to buy a drum kit and a couple horns. I don't work well with others.

3. I didin't bass choose me, well...it choose my sister but she gave up and I stole her bass :D

4. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    God told me to learn to play bass guitar.

5. Paul McCartney's could sing, and Entwistle's could growl. I wasn't a guitarist, never wanted to be, so I was sold.

6. Yeah. Well, maybe it's that rock bands can be low and foundational. Now c'mon, that was deep; it was!

7. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Justin Chancellor.

8. chimpbass

chimpbass

Jan 16, 2008
    Denver, CO
    1. Led Zeppelin II

2. I dislike picks, and have large, meaty fingers that lend themselves to fingerstyle bass playing.

3. I'm on a lifelong quest to find the Brown Note.

9. I played Baritone in middle school, then moved to trombone to cover up for our band's one weak trombone player. In high school I took a guitar class plus playing recreationally (ie. not too good) on my mom's Gretsch Princess.

After my last deployment, one of my buddies was a decent guitarist and one day I decided I would join him on the bass. After our first jam, I was sold.

I just got done playing my bass on my lunch break. Went into my room for a thumbdrive and ended up picking my Squier up and jamming for about 30 minutes. Feel so good right now.

Peace,
    Greg

10. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    1. clarinet
    2. guitar
    3. bass - primarily to add low-end to my recordings, and I was already a basshead anyway.
    I got into playing bass more regularly the same way many have come upon it: band after band had no bassist.
    I would LOVE to be able to sing/play guitar in a band situation, but the circumstances have rarely occured.
    But I also absolutely love playing bass, which is why I can never just leave it to a guitar-player who doesn't want to be on bass. You have to have the love...

11. I got tired of picking my nose

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Stolen from Kenny Rogers (yes, he played bass in KR and the First Edition):

"There's more call for bad bass players than bad guitarists"

Riis

13. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    i started on violin, then got bored with that, then played the trumpet, then got bored with that. after a few years i wanted to try something else, so i picked up the bass after my cousin showed me his. i just loved that low sound, that warm tone and boomy sound. been playin ever since, but i'm still mediocre, i need to pratice more.:bassist:

14. mgash

mgash

Mar 8, 2006
    folsom ca
    you can't dance to guitar. Once I started guitar lessons i realized this. Also I am not an arrogant a$$, thus I belong on bass

15. This fella seems to be telling my story, aswell. Started out with a little guitar, played cello for a few years in elementary, started playing bass in grade 7... I dabble in other instruments but bass is still the main glory for me.

a fretless sounds pretty nice to me, too.

16. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    Well, there was already a keyboard player, a guitar player, and a drummer... I had no choice. I wish I could say that it was because it was just so much a fit for me, but it wasn't. Simple math really... But I will say I fell in love, and now I feel like it was meant to be.

17. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, I wanted to play, and wasn't sure if going for guitar or bass, I even thought I could learn guitar in order to play bass afterwards, but I decided bass because it seemed cooler for me, as most people plays guitar and I don't know, they just look better and I fell inlove with the sound of this instrument.

18. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I played a record player for years, and my older brother had really good taste in music, all the usual 60's/70's, bass player music like jeff beck, steely dan, weather report, R.T.F., and so on.

19. Oh boy..this is gonna be long!
    When I was a kid, I loved funk..I didn't know what it was about the song I liked but I did. We had a piano, so I ended up playing on that...
    In Jr. High, I was into Michael Jackson and Duran Duran. I remember the song Billy Jean, I'd have my ear to the speaker, listening to the (what I "just found out was a bass") bassline..I was fascinated!! In high school, I used to play "air bass" using a yardstick and acting like I was John Taylor (Duran Duran). But I crushed on Nick Rhodes the keyboardist, so I ended up playing keys. I got into all sorts of genres of music then when I started going to concerts and clubs, I noticed I'd always sit on the bass player side of the stage, and kept watching the bassist's fingers and hands playing. I befriended one, and we'd talk. I then bought my first bass 2 years ago, but didn't have any idea how to play it..Then months later, I picked it up and started teaching myself.
    I realized later on, while listening to all of the songs that were my favorite as a kid, teen and early adulthood, everyone of the songs had a bass line that stood out!! It was a calling for me, but I picked up late in life.
    Recently I got a book on Astrology and this book goes to your birthday..it said the instrument of my "possessions and desires" was: bass and clarinet! I fell thru the floor! I used to play clarinet too!

20. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I was pursuing law studies, and while I was in class, I was dreaming about myslef playing bass with jamiroquai, (I was a guitar player and one year later after thinking about that I bought a bass).
    and to make people dance