Why do great things happen by mistake!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MonTheNicol, Nov 20, 2015.

1. MonTheNicol

MonTheNicol

Apr 16, 2015
    UK
    Good Afternoon TBer's (Yes, afternoon, salutations from across the pond)

I decided that as much as I like the sound of TI flats, The lack of bite did not suit my taste. I needed the bite a P bass can give.

(I just wish I could have two P bass's, one with flats, one with rounds.)

So I decided after some research with videos I wanted to stick with flats, but decided to get Roto 77's.

Took my TI's off, kept them for any future cravings and stuck on the 77's. Did some setting up, which was impossible due to a defective D string (I am no expert, but this string would not intonate, constantly closer to Db on the 12th fret). And to be honest, the other 3 strings sounded horrible to my ears, but can't give a proper opinion as I didn't give them a chance.

I had some Roto 66's Steels in my drawer, got them for free but have not used due to a past dislike of steel rounds but decided to put them on.

They really do sound amazing, so much clarity and punch. I can't believe I have avoided them in the past.

The point of this thread is to remind players that don't avoid certain strings because you think you will dislike them. You may be surprised.

Only negative thing I have to mention is that I am currently typing this thread with my feet as my fingers have been shredded...

bholder and Linnin like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You may want to try some hybrid strings. Maybe steel core with nickel coated wrap? The way my body chemistry works, steel strings stick to my fingers like crazy! I have been playing rounds for years but steel ones chew right through my fingers.

I agree with your premise though. I try to keep an open mind when I see or hear any new gear or strings. I try not to judge with my eyes and use my fingers and ears.

3. MonTheNicol

MonTheNicol

Apr 16, 2015
    UK
    I have a set of the nickel 66's on my J bass. Are these the type of strings you mention? or do you mean pure nickel strings?

The nickel 66's are pretty decent, gunna try some steel 66's on my J after.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm not really sure on the brands and models. I just know that they make some strings that are coated in nickel (so they may feel a little smoother) but contain steel cores and/or steel wrap wire which may lend itself to a brighter tone? I could be way off on that though.

One thing you could try is telling your story to the guy(s) at bassstringonline.com

They can take all of that information and suggest something that meets your needs. And they are really nice to deal with. Ship quick. Great prices. No downside really.

(I am not affiliated with then in any way other than a satisfied customer.)

Will_White likes this.
  5. MonTheNicol

MonTheNicol

Apr 16, 2015
    UK
    Thanks for your suggestion. I am just going to go through a lot of strings til I find one I love, even though I love the 66. Can't give an opinion until I have tried them

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, switching from flats to stainless rounds can be tough on the fingers. Try stainless half rounds if you really want to toughen up those calluses.

Will_White likes this.
  7. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Strings are ALWAYS steel wires wrapped in different materials.

Steel wrapping
    Nickel plated steel (the most used)
    Pure nickel
    Alloy 52

Its all written on packages or websites.

8. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    After breaking a G string, I switched from white tape wounds to heavy gauge rounds (.120 E) on my acoustic bass so I could get a little more projection, I didn't think the transition was to bad, I also can't do slides on it and I play it mostly with a pick so I'm not sure I'm the best example for finger wear and tear, the hardest part was getting used to fretting with the super high tension strings.

9. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Super high tension on an acoustic could lead to problems....I used to have a Kramer Ferrington....{8^0)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021