1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do I want an Acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Don M, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Not only do I want an acoustic, but I want a short scale or smaller acoustic. A 32" might be okay, but I really want to go smaller than that. I think I'm most interested in the following:

Spector Timbre Jr
    Guild B-240E
    Michael Kelly Sojouner 4K
    Guild Jumbo Jr

I know there are others..including a bunch from Ibanez..but let's stick to the above list (at least for now).

I'm really looking for users of the Spector Timbre series and the Sojourner 4K. I've read a lot about the others and the older Sojourner.

Also looking for opinions of the guitar scale acoustics and the difference between the two different scales.

2. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
  3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No, you don’t want an acoustic bass. Toss out that koolaid right now before it’s too late.

4. SBassman and saabfender like this.
  5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I was in the acoustic room at GC checking out guitars when I happened to see a Guild jumbo junior bass, dang thing played great and sounded (acoustically) even better. I didn't have time to plug it in but based on the acoustic tone and volume I am kinda thinking of buying one and I don't usually like spending money.

B-Mac likes this.
  6. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Cant be a bad thing. Plugged in it will gig or jam, unplugged it will noodle or practice. Just be aware that none of the shorties, and few of the bigrig abgs, are adequate for ensemble work or jamming unplugged. Keep your expectations reasonable and you avoid disappointment.

7. I don’t think any of them are really loud enough to play with an acoustic guitar unplugged. Not to the point where the balance between the Guitar and the bass would make me happy anyways. That’s one of the reasons I bought one that has a smaller acoustic guitar sized body even thought its 34” scale is because I tried a few and none of them were particularly loud so I went for comfort over volume and if it playing with someone else I use an amp.

Karl_V likes this.
  8. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    As I said, few abgs can hang in there unplugged. To get one that can, you have to spend a bunch of money and learn to play differently, because they have to be way big. You also have to hunt obsessively, since many of the usable ones are either out of production or custom/ boutique units. I play with a group of acoustic guitars every week, and get heard. But my smallest is a Martin jumbo. None of these are still in production, and one is a total one-off from a basement.
    basses.

bearfoot likes this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But some ABGs are easily capable of being heard over plural acoustic guitars and, appearances notwithstanding, can be played comfortably while seated. [Ahem] Just sayin'.

B-Mac and chadds like this.
  10. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Way worse ways to spend $500, I gig and record with this every chance I get:

Don M, el jeffe bass and SOUTH PAW like this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have a 1993 Guild B4CE NT small body but sounds so good and has as much volume as the large Martin AB I replaced it with.

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'm not sure you do.

13. Go big or don't go at all!

Guild B-50NT:

100_6427.

Unless you want to play plugged in. Then you can go smaller.

(The very rare) Guild B-500CE:

100_6430.

(30-1/2" scales)

TheBear likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The bigger - the better !

15. Been there, too. I tried several ABGs and liked none. I had to plug them in to be heard. So I thought, I could just bring my e bass instead, which looks cooler and plays more comfortable. Just my experience, ymmv.

packhowitzer likes this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I can dig in on my 5-er fretless with a pick and be heard in a 3-5 foot circle around me at church. No amp and want to be heard beyond that? Forgedaboutit.

Nephilymbass and packhowitzer like this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Why do you want an ABG? Because you want something you can play when you are alone and don’t want to fuss with cables and such, or you are still not convinced an ABG has to be plugged in to play in a group setting even if it’s with an unplugged flat top you are playing alongside; or you just want one and have the money?

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Found only one I really liked - an Epiphone El Capitan. It’s big. It’s deep. It can get bloody uncomfortable to play at times. And I don’t care. It sounds incredible to my ears.

B-Mac and murmur70 like this.
  19. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    This. I own a Martin ABG and while it’s nice to have I’d never do it again. Just isn’t very practical

Karl_V likes this.
  20. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Have you run out of other things to buy?