1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do non-rack type heads have effects loops in them??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Effects loops in heads are (generally) for line level rack type gear.
    Makers of small heads (GB, Eden, etc.) have effects loops in their ultra light heads that will most likely never be racked or used with rack gear.

Why?

Pedals through the effects loop are a no-no, right?

Just curious.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Wrong-

Some pedals will work through the loop. Also the amp can be used sitting on top of a rack if the person decides effects are useful for certain gigs, but not needed for other gigs.

jte

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Gain pedals (OD/distortion/fuzz) tend to not work so well in an effects loop, but time (delay, reverb) and modulation (flanger, chorus, phaser) pedals will often work just fine. You'll just have to test it for yourself to be sure.

4. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

I might be racking my Shuttle at some point. They sell rack ears for it and it might be more convenient to have it racked if I had other racked gear to go along with it, like a wireless unit, tuner, rack effects, etc. Plus, the conveience of two plugs (wall, cabinet) just seems better to me.

To not include an effects loop would seem more strange (and quite limiting) to me...

5. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    you get better tone with the loop.

i have my amp set flat and run my sansamp and wah to the loop. if i run into my chain it sounds like crap, even after eqing my amp, but then my sansamp tone is off....

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on what's in the loop.

I honestly have no idea what this means. :confused:

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    what about the DI on the head? If you run your effects through the loop wouldn't the clean DI out be uneffected?

That's why I thought they were that way.

8. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    i have a 1/4 out (to the amp) and a xlr out (to the PA) on my sansamp, but my di on the head is post eq);

9. correct me if i am wrong but does an effects loop just put the effect on post preamp rather than pre preamp.(standard bass>effect>amp)

so if you dont want your pedal to mess up with your mids and stuff you would want to put the effect after the preamp no?:eyebrow:

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ehhh... sometimes... It truly depends on the design of the device you're running in the loop, and the design of the loop itself. They are not all the same. Generalizing like that is not smart.

I would suggest doing some reading on proper use of the Sansamp... it sounds like you don't know what you're doing yet. There are many useful threads about it in the fx forum.

To the OP, the reason they provide fx loops is because it is a very inexpensive feature to add, and it doesn't take up a lot of real estate on either the back panel or the circuitboard. So by adding it they please anyone who would find that feature useful, without adding much onto their cost to build it.

Also, as noted above, not all fx loops run at the same ideal signal level, and not all fx do either. Some pedals can handle a very high signal level, some cannot. Some rack fx require a line-level input, some do not.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the gear that likes line level more is best through an effects loop (usually mod, delay, rev, sampling)
    the gear that likes instrument level more is best before the preamp (drive, distortion, boost)

12. As soon as my Shuttle 6.0 comes it will be racked, I ordered the rack kit with the amp.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gun to my head, I can't tell the difference between effects in line and effects in the amp's loop. I just run them in line usually, although if you have a blendable loop, it's a cool way of blending clean and dirty without splitting your signal.

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Because their mommies wanted them to be like all the other amps.

15. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Effects send can also double as a handy preamp out.

Effects return can be used as a handy power amp in.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Good points. Never mind.