Why do you enjoy playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I've been wondering what makes me play bass. At first it was because it was eye catching, and at first it was just something that I did to pass the time. Then I heard all the different tones you could get out of a bass, and I got serious. I then also realised people (especially girls, heeheh) were more interested in you if you were playing an instrument. So I suppose I play because I like to entertain and also because I like the sound and look of bass. Why do YOU enjoy playing bass?
  2. I like music. I like listening to it. I like reading about it. I like watching "Behind the Music" when it's about bands I don't even like. I also like to play music. I started on the bass because I was already playing tuba and really digging the role.

3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    For love of the music.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I thought you started playing bass because your dad said it was easy, and you set out to prove him wrong. :eyebrow:

I play bass because I like the way it makes my pants vibrate. :D
  5. My reasons changed as I got older.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    love of music, love of playing live.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  8. Because I love music; and ever since I was a kid, I only really hear the bass parts. :cool:
  9. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    It's relaxing and I love music.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You can change your reasons stated in the past with new reasons now? I wish I knew that!

"Honey, how'd you like those flowers I bought for you today?"
    "You said they were for your mother"
    "I'm changing what I said back then now-they were always for you"

11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Women and drugs, mostly.
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    How's that working out for ya?
  13. Music's in my blood. Notes stream through my veins. I'm addicted. I need my daily fix.

When I'm on stage playing, it feels like I'm whole, like I was made to be there. It feels like everything's falling into place. I love the stage. That's where I forget about all the problems.

Seems like I was made for playing bass. I'm an introvert, and I'm usually low profile, although I know when to step up to the soapbox.

At first, I wanted to pick up guitar when I was 15 to impress the girls. Then, a good friend of mine (who'd later become a bandmate) made me discover the bass through a guy named Cliff Burton. I was hooked to the bass since then, although the field of my influences and inspirations have widened and matured a lot since then. But yes, I still love good ol' Cliff.

By the way, great thread idea, Nick.
  14. I love playing my bass so much, and it is so much intertwined into my very being that I unfortunately had a wicked flip-out session on my Wife last night, as I was working out a passage in my head to my bass, away from everybody, and was interrupted for a matter that could have waited until I had made myself available again....

I feel bad about it now, most surely, and have since the micro-millisecond after I snapped, but yeah, this bass bug has got me really bad.

And only the most discriminating and intelligent peoples of opposite gender pick the bass players. Any ho' can shack up a guitar player or drummer.

(I'm totally kidding)
  15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Because I love the sound of a good groove.
  16. A few people have mentioned the words 'women' in there reasons for playing. What happens when you finally settle down? Do you get bored of bass, or does the kick of playing live become addicitive and make you carry on?
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Grew up loving music.
    I love to create a groove with other musicians.
    Playing live there is a exchange of energy between
    musicians and listeners. that feed back!
    I something you can do for yourself.
    Better than any drug?
    You can talk about it.
    Analize it, but you either love it or you don't,
  18. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I'm with the vibrating pants party.
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    To seriously answer the question, it's the one of very few things besides painting and swimming that, when I'm really, really into it, I start to feel almost like I'm burning inside. I've tried other instruments, sports, and hobbies, but these are the only things that really do it. It's like my mind is put on another level or something and my hands and chest heat up, and work in perfect unison with my brain. Normally I'm pretty clutzy and tend to make lots of mistakes at whatever I do, whether it be spilling food on myself when eating, having to scribble out a word I made too illegible, etc., but when I get that feeling, my mistakes greatly reduce themselves, and I can work with and make something out of the ones I do make.

Usually I have to be playing with other musicians for this to happen, or be playing for myself without any concern for what's around me (I usually have to be alone in the house), or with painting I have to be working for a while by myself before I really start clicking. I need the right set of circumstances for it to happen, and itt doesn't always happen even when they are right, but when it does, I feel like I know why I'm me, that I'm doing something important, and that there's no one else who can do what I can the way I do it.

That's why I play.
  20. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've always been playing music in some capacity since I was little. I just happened to find my voice on bass.