1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Why don't more pedals have cool art?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Obsidiann, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Obsidiann

Obsidiann

Jan 24, 2021
    Missoula, MT
    I only picked up a bass two years ago, and only recently started to invest in a pedalboard and such. Just got a Walrus Audio Julia and Earthquaker Depths, really digging them both. But I think what I like about them the most is their art, and looking at other Walrus and Earthquaker pedals, I really wish more pedals had art. It's so inspiring to look down at your board and see actual images instead of CHROMATIC TUNER TU-3. Anybody feel the same? Also feel free to post your favorite pedal art, I'm curious what others think.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As for why isn't there more art, I think the answer is that some want a clean look with easy-to-read labeling. Sometimes art gets in the way, and I've seen some pedals that are all art with no labeling. I get it, if you use a pedal all the time then you probably don't need labels, but not everyone is comfortable with that, and some (like me) have fickle ears and enjoy swapping pedals in and out of rotation so they don't always memorize the control schemes.

I enjoy pedals with cool art. I don't own any, but I like the retro sci-fi vibe of this Doc Lloyd compressor.

1_COMP_FACE_1024x1024.jpg

odarellmc, Dysnomia, DrMole and 10 others like this.
  3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Unless you’re a successful company, or a company with a bankroll, ORRR have artist friends that are willing to work for trades art is expensive.

I work as a freelance illustrator and graphic designer, and while I love to work with small companies I cant afford to in some instances.

I absolutely love seeing how companies
    brand themselves through the art on their pedals. There’s loads of potential to create a cohesive look for themselves. There are 100% brands whos effects I want to own just becuse of their designs (Land, Stone Deaf, etc). On the flip side of that there are some pedals I would probably never own because I can’t stand how they look. Like good grief what is going on over at EHX these days?! I have a Bass Big Muff Deluxe on my board and I can’t look at it. With such a rich history to draw from you signed off on LIME GREEN CRACKLE PAINT?! Right, anyway, art is subjective and might not jive with someone which is a risk some companies might not want to take and instead play it safe.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Dysnomia, berman3313 and Grapevine921 like this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    While I can appreciate the unique individualism in pedal art, much prefer the less is more approach.
    IMG_2855.jpg

DrMole, PlatoFunFactory, ruju and 9 others like this.
  5. IMG_20210127_183839614.jpg
    Fuzzrocious is always fun & bold with their artwork here we see the infamous BDPG V2 in full glory.
    It is a fully erect ( saturated ) overdrive.

6. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    I like cool art but I don't like stuff that would make me look weird to my family members if they saw it. So Sushi box yes but the ones that look like they were designed for teenage boys, not for me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  7. You might enjoy this thread: The Pedals Photogenic | TalkBass.com

catcauphonic and cosmicevan like this.
  8. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I don’t care what art is or isn’t on it, but it would be nice to know what the pedal does.

farace, Shizzean, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  9. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    I dunno. Why aren't there more amps with cool art? Or speaker cabs that matter? Imagine the cool stuff that could be printed on speaker cone material!

Anyhoo. I mostly wish I could buy every cool pedal I saw (like every Iron Ether) or whose name I found inspiringly silly (Way Huge Pork Loin? Sure it's juvenile, but c'mon!). In the meantime, I'll just have to settle for ones that make sounds I like.

10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Dirty-Donny+(4).jpg

11. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I’m a big fan of music manga, so i really like these custom illustrated pedals by animalspedal.jp

EB1E2CC2-E6F7-4D8A-8741-4D08898224FE.jpeg B1A8C8AA-5104-442A-8879-36C85566D8F3.jpeg A2FD849C-D5EF-4104-8C1E-2D6600C48FBD.jpeg E26CD8AA-D0CA-4F19-B145-03E812EBC95B.jpeg

12. Perhaps art is in the eye of the beholder:
    Some folks revere a chunky pedal painted in arsenic green paint with rudimentary graphics as much or more than a garishly painted and named alternative.
    dlzzxssnsqr16wznzbki.jpg

13. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    Mosfed, Novarocker, J_Bass and 2 others like this.
  14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    People like different things.

I'm not a big fan of pedal art myself, as it often gets in the way of reading settings, and on a darkened stage you don't see the art anyway. I'd much rather those artistic skills were put to use actually enhancing the usability of the pedal, instead of just slapping a drawing on a piece of hardware to make it look more interesting.

DiabolicLow B and Roland GR 88 like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe it's because I grew up in the 70's and 80's but I prefer a solid color and just a label like Boss, MXR, DOD and Ibanez used to do it...

I really don't like people ogling my pedals too much on stage. I especially stay away from demonic or sexual imagery or labelling. When folks see that it tends to spark questions and dialogue I'd rather nor engage in. I even had a guy question me about the bridge on my bass saying "badass" on it. "Are you sure you're ok with taking that bass into a church?" :eyebrow: My bright orange Phase 100 doesn't start awkward conversations.

Pauly 4001 likes this.
  16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    IMHO there are a LOT of pedal manufacturers that do exactly that.
    Most small boutique brands have to deal with the fact that they have to use standard enclosures because their numbers are too small to have their own enclosures made - so the thing that gives their pedals a personal touch is what goes on the standard box.

I like to look at a pedal that has a special design. But it's more important what comes out of the output jack.
    The current incarnation of my pedalboard is quite sober for that reason. I've had quite a few pedals with interesting designs, but I kept those with interesting sounds, in my case pedals from Tech21, Strymon, Source Audio, MXR and Korg. All rather boring to look at.

17. I like a mix of both. There is also some time commitment in performing artwork. I have a pedalboard with artwork and a "clean" labeled pedalboard - they mostly lay around my studio. My KHDK Unicorn Blood and my KHDK Ghoul Screamer have the most unique artwork of my collection. I am more sentimental towards these pedals due to their artwork. The Keeley Monterey had some awesome artwork as well.

Unicorn Blood II Assembled.jpg Guru Screamer.png

Spectrum, osv and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. Cost
    2. Why risk alienating a lot of your potential audience? I'm sure young female (and a lot of men) would not be thrilled to have a "broke dick" pedal.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I care 0% about graphics. I want to know how it sounds.

20. The only pedal I have with a graphic is my E-Harmonix tone corset. I agree with the OP I think it would be cool at least if there were variants for people who like graphics for pedals.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021