1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why go Mac?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavidmanX, Mar 14, 2008.

1. MacBook

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. MacBook Pro

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. MacBook Air

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Keep the pc notebook you have now.

28 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've only used PC's but am intrigued by Macs.

Can anyone give me some help as to why I should by a Mac Notebook? I really don't want this to unleash into a PC vs. Mac thread, so keep it civil (I may have that anyway by tomorrow morning when I check this).

Right now I would mainly use a notebook for wireless internet access, word processing, presentations, photo stuff, and maybe some video editing.

Any hints? I need help.

Also, feel free to vote for your favorite option above. Options are between one of the mac books (I really don't know the differences) and staying with my pc based notebook now.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a MacBook Pro. I love this machine. I had always been on the fence between Mac's and PC's. Then when OSX came around, I walked away from PC's for good. I have a Windows machine. All I do with it is log in, run updates, anti-virus patches, get tired, and walk away. I really have no need for it.

I said MacBook Pro because it has a better video card if you're using FinalCut Pro. But if you're just using iMovie, then just get a higher-end MacBook. They're great machines. I just bought 40 of them for my teachers. Not a problem. Each one works out of the box. The oldest one is almost a year old. Not a problem so far.

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Well... how old is your current notebook? I wouldn't suggest getting a mac in the first place unless you need/want a new computer... One option you have is to buy Leopard (the new Mac OS) and put it on your current laptop... I haven't tried this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It would be a better idea if you have a intel core duo processor.

Note: if you want to do anything more than surf the web and use MS Office type programs, the MacBook Air is more or less useless. It can do next to nothing. As you probably know, macs cost a ****-ton compared to a PCs with equivalent specs, but I think what you gain is great customer service, a lot of aesthetic value, even the macbook pros are thin for their size (mine is an inch thick closed, much better than any others I have seen), an OS that just plain works (seriously, there are very little problems with leopard... I cant even think of any... sometimes programs close unexpectedly, but all my info is saved regardless... but not like this doesn't happen with windows... at least you never have to restart because of it) oh and a good note, you know how sometimes the task manager doesn't actually close the programs? the mac equivalent works every time.

I kinda lost my train of thought, but I could probably rant on about this for a while, but unless you really want the power, a macbook (not pro) would probably be enough for you, maybe the 15" pro...

4. So you can look cool at Starbucks? That's the only reason I can think of.

- Dave

5. To all my friends that want opinions on a mac notebook, I always suggest the second newest one, not the newest--It seems that most mac laptops have some kind of flaw that doesn't get caught until a few months into production, and I have a feeling the macbook air won't be an exception--if you want a mac notebook, macbook pro is my suggestion

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    My work computer is a Macbook Pro. It's the fourth one I've had since Apple introduced the line. Prior to that I had a Powerbook G4 at a previous job, and my wife's main notebook is a honkie Macbook. I do dig Apple gear, even though the 'm' and 't' keys on my current Macbook Pro are going out and it took them a couple generations to fix the Macbook Pro's overheating issues which killed my first three. Apple is great until the stuff breaks. I could type pages on my woes dealing with Apple's Genius Bar.

That said, OSX is supreme. I've used various flavors of Unix as a workstation OS for over a decade now as well as Windows and pre-X MacOS. OSX kills them all IMO. I'll always have PC gear for recording but for everything else I use Macs if I can. But I refuse to pay for the hardware anymore.

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'd hate to say it, but this is the main reason a ton of people I know have these. :atoz:

8. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    thanks for the info. What do yyou think about the software differences i.e. Powerpoint vs keynote?

9. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Because once you go Mac, you never go back?
    :ninja:

10. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

might be a bit cocky since it's from Apple direct.. but still worth the read I believe..

as for Keynote vs. Powerpoint, I like Keynote better by far, but I believe you should get Mac Office over iWork because Powerpoint (and word) are way more popular than Keynote (and pages) and the files are also compatible with the Windows version of Powerpoint.

11. steve_koolaid2.

12. :rollno:

Wow, I didn't think I could dislike Apple and my Mac more that I already did until I saw that site. Apple raises the bar while simultaneously reaching a new low.

- Dave

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dont get the air, its sexy, but crappy.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook-air-review.ars

and i was a PC guy for years. but frankly, cause of the games. but my xbox360 changed that. then thought it was easier to get freebie programs for PCs, which might be true, but i've been finding plenty of stuff for my mac, i.e. audacity, etc.

besides, i think anyone who's tried vista for an hour will instantly become a mac user 10x over.

14. musicguy123

musicguy123 Banned

Sep 4, 2007
    MacBook Pro is the most powerful choice there, but it depends on what do you want that notebook for?

15. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i loveeeee my pro!!!!

i use it for everything. recording (pro tools), schedules, gig stuff, school stuff, and is m dvd player :)

other than my basses, this is the only other thing i own that is of value.

sooo worth it.

16. "One way to look at the MacBook Air is as the largest and most capable iPod in Apple's lineĀ—think of it as an iPod touch Extreme with a built-in keyboard."

:p I've been calling my work Mac an iPod for years.

- Dave

17. The Macbook air is stylish uselessness and can't see myself doing anything at all on the 13" screen the regular Macbook sport so, were I to get a Laptop, it would have to be a Macbook pro.

That said, if you already have a notebook that's working alright, I can't see a reason to get a Macbook on top. Best is to build yourself a custom tower, much faster than any laptop available.

18. get a mac...

brian-of-nazareth.

"you're all individuals"

- "yes, we're all individuals"

"you're all different"

- "yes, we're all different"

;)

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The main reason people I know have them is for producing creative media easily, be it Video, Audio or graphic.

Everyone has become a musician artist & film maker with one.

That's why the people I know own them.

20. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    They make awesome mobile devices (laptop, Ipod, Iphone).. The rest is very meh.