Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is bass..........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Feb 4, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Im not really sure where this thread should be put, so ill put it here.

Why is bass spelled bass and base?

I guess if you look at it bass fits the name but in grammer terms its spelled completely wrong.

lets discuss.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Homograph.

A homograph is word that has the same spelling as another. Homographs differ from each other in meaning origin, and sometimes pronunciation.

3. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    What?!?!?

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Because the english language is so scewed up that even those of us that speak it have to take it every year in school.
    Ask some of our overseas friends how easy it was to learn and how much it makes sense.

5. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005

thats what...:bag:

6. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i thought that it was a homophone.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    nope, dictionary.com agrees with homograph.

8. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Blame the Middle English for the pronunciation (bas); blame the Italians for the spelling (basso).

Base and Bass are homophones (sound alike, spelled different); Bass (guitar) and Bass (fish) are homographs (sound different, spelled the same).

Thank my English Major Fiancée for the help.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You're a homograph.. BURN.... uhh.. yeah.. Um... :p

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    why deed vs lead vs reid?

The english language is so screwy, I can't even begin to get into it. Well, I would since I love english, but I can't now since I must sleep.

11. You can all bicker on about how its flaws in the english language, but we all know the real reason its spelled that way, and your just afraid to admit it. But you know what, I'm not. Its spelled that way because CHUCK NORRIS SAID SO.

12. Can't remember who but some English writer, complaining about the randomness of English pronunciation, said that "fish" could have been spelt "ghoti":

f = "gh" as in "cough"
    i = "o" as in "women"
    sh = "ti" as in "nation"

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Great one!

Actually, english is fairly easy to learn on a basic level - Polish and, for example, Deutsch are far more difficult to learn.
    German grammar is really hard - I especially love the way you have to divide a word in two, and the SECOND part in front of a sentence :D

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

Credited to George Bernard Show.

15. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Yea im taking German in my high school.

the teacher is trying to teach us grammer and how to write sentences before we learned our vocabulary, so we have no idea what we are talking about when we are correcting sentences.

16. homograph is two words spelled the same but differnt meaning - fret (to worry) fret (as in bass)

homophone is two word pronounced the same, spelle ddifferent - they're their there

and the ghoti thing - gh is never in th ebeginning of the word, and ti never at the end for their respected desired sounds. But it still shows the wackiness of english

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe it's just me, but I think German is a lot easier than English. I mean, if English wasn't my first language and all..;)

Anyway, I don't really get why this thread exists...it's 'bass'. That's all there is to it.

18. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    English is not a difficult language. Very logical structure, no complexities like in some other languages. For example French offers much more opportunities to make a mistake in grammar. Or Lithuanian (just ask any linguist...)

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally, I think the hardest aspects of English are pronunciation and vocabulary as English has a larger vocabulary than most languages.

I don't think English grammar is that easy, though. You really have to keep your sentences short and cleanly structured to get your point across due to the limited sentence structure.

20. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    :eek:

That's three words! Now what is it??? :confused:

to, two and too