1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is my B string not as loud as other?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KCooganbass, Mar 8, 2013.

1. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    So, I play in a metal band, and I needed the five string for the deeper sound, but my B string is practically inaudibale compared to the other, I've looked through some threads on this, checked a few things, tested the magnetism on the pickups, higher in the B string side, tried raising and lowering the string, truss rod, but nothing seems to be working, my bass is a Stellah Ripwood, and my amp is a Fender Rumble 15, any suggestions are appreciated, and I'm new to bass (sorta) so I apologise if I don't understand something

2. RadioRob

RadioRob

Dec 15, 2012
    Could be the amp. Try it on a different amp. To test pickup remove B string and place old E string or just move E string to the B slot and listen to volume comparison.

3. inmate13

inmate13

Nov 4, 2010
    You play Rumble 15 or 150? If it's 15 you should look for a new amp. B string requiers some additional power to reproduce that freq.

4. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    Do you think a rumble 75 would do?

5. bassyogi

bassyogi

Jul 23, 2012
    Sardis Ohio
    You could possibly have a bad B string or it could just be twisted. Try taking the B off, if you haven't already, and reinstall it. If it still sounds bad then a new pack of strings might be in order as well.

6. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    I'll give it a go :)

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    It might only just do, but if you can move up a bit more you'll have an amp that you can keep using as you progress.

If you want a combo, go for 12", 15", or 2x10" speakers and 150+ watts. More speaker area = more volume. Make sure you don't cut the midrange frequencies when EQing - it might sound good at home, but no one will hear you in a band when you haven't got those mids in the mix.

8. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    Swapped the E and B, the E sounded louder than the B, I'll get a new set of strings soon and hopefully find a solution

9. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    What about hybrid amps?

10. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Try another 5 string bass.

11. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    Also,

To check if it isn't the speaker, play into a pair of decent headphones.

12. If indeed you are using a 15W amp with an 8" speaker, upgrading your amp is something you will want to put high on your list of things to do. I have had poor results trying to get useable volume on all 5 strings using 1x10's or lower. IME, I prefer at least a 12" speaker to hear a decent B. 2x10 or a single 15 will also work, IMHO.

For around the price of the Rumble 75, there are some options that can give you many more watts, which is a good thing for a 5. If you look used, there are all kinds of things available.

Good Luck!

13. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    What would you recommend?

14. What price range? Same as a new Rumble 75?

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    quiet b string??

- it could be the strings
    - it could be the setup
    - it could be the bridge
    - it could be the pickups

16. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    In or around that yeah

17. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I wonder if the B note is actually kicking off the compression circuit. Does hitting a high note and the B note cause the whole volume to go down?

18. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    So I plucked the B and High E, volume went down but not too much, if that means anything, and I hear crackling if I touch any strings while they're vibrating if that's significant?

19. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    So my guess is that the B is causing too much of a power hit and the circuit is lowering the volume and still maybe not even letting the B be heard. I see it is a sealed enclosure. What was the volume at with that test? What if you put it to half of that?

20. KCooganbass

KCooganbass

Mar 8, 2013
    Volume was 10
    Brought it down to 5
    Same effect