1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is there a pickup under my SR4 pickguard?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kdef77, Mar 19, 2009.

1. kdef77

kdef77

Feb 7, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I just bought a SR4 HS on e-bay and got it today. I took the pickguard off and there is a third pickup underneath. I couldn't find any references to it anywhere. Is this a piezo pickup? If so, does anyone know how to control it?

Thanks.:hyper:

2. That's the phantom or "dummy" coil, which combines with the single position for canceling noise.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    That's the dummy coil for the neck pickup.

4. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Dang, so its a normal thing...I thought we had another "there's a doll under my truss rod cover" type situation.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    ???

How long has EB been using a phantom coil? I had a SR 5 for years and I *know* I took off the pickguard at some point and never saw such a thing...

That's a pretty high-speed thing, tho - Alembic was the first company to do that back in the day...

6. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    That was an interesting one, wasn't it.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Big time.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I enjoyed that thread so much I saved the pics.

9. Way Off Bass

Way Off Bass

Jul 30, 2008
    Boone, NC
    EZ Music Co.
    isnt that a Caribbean good luck doll?

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It's a worry doll. If you search the basses forum you'll find the thread, entertaining read.

11. hahaha... "dummy coil"

dummy.

(just kidding)

12. kdef77

kdef77

Feb 7, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Thank you.

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    On the SR5 H? Since the early 90s when EB switched from alnico to ceramic magnets. The dummy coil is on the bottom of the pickup on the SR5 H ceramics.

14. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    And Alembic still does. My Series II custom will have single coils with the dummy humcanceller in between them. You can view the factory to customer thread here.

http://alembic.com/club/messages/631/27001.html?1235789404

Alan

15. some people use a custom pickguard on those and bring the coil up for a HSS config :hyper:

16. found the video again

17. :confused: I have never heard of a Piezo pickup. Piezo's sense vibration, as in Piezo bridge saddles.
    Pickups sense magnetic fields.

Like everyone else said, its a dummy coil.

18. plogwok

plogwok

Aug 30, 2007
    um, yes, piezo's sense vibrations...which is pretty much how your bass makes a noise.

A piezo pickup directly senses the vibration of the strings, a regular pickup senses it indirectly by sensing the disturbance in their magnetic field, which is in turn caused by a magnetic material (your strings) vibrating within the magnetic field (created by the pole pieces in your pickups)

19. Apparently, that “dummy” coil is no dummy…there is a magnet on the pole pieces, and hence it actually WILL produce sound if it were placed closer to the strings.

Personally, I’m not sold on the use of dummy coils, because they increase the DCR and overall inductance of your single-coil, hence the single-coil is no longer true SC, but more of a humbucker with a narrow magnetic aperture. Sounds similar to true SC but not close enough for me.

20. actually, technically, piezos work on a change in pressure on the piezo crystal not vibration directly. That is why piezos are mounted under bridge saddles.