Why Jesus, why?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 19, 2003.

1. [​IMG]

Jesus joy of mans desiring..there are two time staffs..what gives?
  2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, it's a good question. The answer might lie later in the piece. is there a part where the melody does not follow the triplet feel? I notice the the lower staffs are not written in dotted quarter notes, like they should be. Techincally, those staffs are in 3/4 and the top ones are in 9/8 usually when you see two time sigs, they alternate every other measure, but not here.
  3. Hmm, beats me. I was just browsing through the classical archives and thought that was a bit odd. My first though was maybe one time staff was for the top and the other was for the bottom, but obviously that wouldn't exactly work out :D
  4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    hey im just wondering where you get that musical notation from or did you scan it from a book?
  5. BigLob

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Im playing that piece in orchestra, and we only have the 9/8 signature, but im guessing that if 9/8 is too hard then you can play it 3/4. Kind of like playing a piece 4/4 when it is marked "Cut Time"(2/2), and you cant play it that fast.
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Is it possible that it's mixed meter, I mean one measure in 3/4 and one measure in 9/8?

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  7. http://www.mutopiaproject.org

They are being shut down on Sept 24th though

Oh ok cool thanks :bassist:
  8. BigLob

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    The 3/4 was really bothering me, so i asked my orch. teacher today and she said that the 3/4 was for the conductor, telling him/her to conduct as if it was 3/4. At least i think thats what she said.
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's a pretty lame reason, because 99.9% of all pieces ever written in 9/8 are conducted in 3 anyway.
  10. Oh ok I'm a noob in timing and such but I think I figured it out.

One bar of 9/8 is the same as two bars of 3/4, right? I'm just guessing here.

So maybe it's ORIGINALLY written in 3/4, but to make the sheet music shorter so it doesn't take up the whole page, they put it in 9/8.

Just a thought. I really need to learn all the timing theory stuff :D

EDIT - No that can't be right. I'll leave this post here in case is sparks an idea or two.
  11. BigLob

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Very true. Im going back to my original guess of my first post here.
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'll give my best shot at clearing this up.

3/4 has what's called dupel feel, say with me
    9/8 USUALLY has a triplet feel
    "One-la-lee Two-la-lee Three-la-lee"

Still three beats in a measure, but it's the subdivision of the beat that makes it different.
    sing "when johnny comes marching home" to get the feeling of a song with a triplet feel. It's the same feel even though that song has a 6/8 time sig.