1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why, oh why? (Pedalboard overkill content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Il Duce, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Il Duce

Il Duce

Mar 31, 2007
    The Etherweb
    I collect rubber ducks.
    Dude shows up at a gig last night in a relatively small club with quite a small stage for a 8-piece band and THIS is the pedalboard he lays down and hooks up:

5d85a94e7abba6.17475431.

Mind you, this was a for an early gig (7:30 to 10:30pm) with a 1980s cover band. His board and amp alone took up about a fifth of the overall stage. The drummer had a smaller footprint!

All I can say is, why? Even if you're an effects maven, would you show up with such a ridiculous rig, bragging about the fact that it lights up, when you probably wouldn't use more than two of the pedals on the board?

This band included three female singers, a singing sax player, a singing keyboard player, a singing drummer, a singing guitar player, in addition to the non-singing bass player.

I was just flabbergasted. I mean, really, WT... you know the rest!

(I do wish I had the guy's money, though -- That board must have cost more than my car!)

2. How did the C4 sound?

3. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    And what is that to you, and why should I care?

I guess at least you didn't share his full name and home address.

This guy is fat, please point fingers at him and laugh if you see him:
    [​IMG]

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    He’s got a C4, Aftershock, Manta and Reflex - this guy’s OK in my book.

One thing to consider is that he only has the one board. Maybe he only wanted/needed one or two of those effects but didn’t want to tear his board apart just to fit the gig. To each their own.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I find myself asking, how did the band sound? Did you dance?

6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Was he a good player? He likely plays with others as well, so this would also be my guess (though I'm thinking he maybe used at least 4 of them. A tuner and a compressor is 2 right there.)

IMG_9452.

7. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The time frame isn't important but I think playing for nearly 3 hours is a long gig.

Ferniff, Gibs210, QRanc and 6 others like this.
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    That is a ridiculous board. I will probably be the only one who agrees with you. This is TB though, what do you expect?

boodakon, DanGR, SLIV and 7 others like this.
  9. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Fire the drummer, that'll fix it :woot:

10. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I think the background floor lights are a little much and wasteful of juice.

jthisdell likes this.
  11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow. I've never had my gast flabbered by another dude's big bright pink pedalboard.

That must have been quite the experience for you. Bless your heart.

Bonesy85, konfyouzd, Matt R. and 11 others like this.
  12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Wow! That is a big pedalboard, and quite fancy too! :thumbsup:

I say, if having a pedalboard like that brings him happiness in life, then that's the pedalboard he should use.

We should all do what makes us happy in life (and encourage others to pursue what makes them happy) as long as it doesn't involve hurting others. :thumbsup:

13. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    What did his amp setup look like?? Did he have a Bootsy Bass to go along with that monstrous pedalboard?:D

Hey whatever gets you off, rock it! In this world of yin and yang there’s a bassist who shows up with a p-bass, one cable, straight through to a classic Ampeg stack, no effects and plays fingerstyle.:bassist:

6tzguy, SactoBass and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  14. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I could be wrong, but I feel like I saw the owner of that pedalboard posting on TB in the thread about the C4. It might have been a different board, but the one I remember seeing had all sorts of lights under it and had a crazy amount of pedals. It also had the mini wah at the bottom left so I'm thinking it's the same guy.

Loring likes this.
  15. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
  16. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    Oh my god: PINK! But when he likes it, who I'am to say anything against.

Reminded me of a Gaming PC I helped to build. That girl wanted a potent gaming rig and I helped her selecting the needed parts. She asked me, if it one could make that PC fancy and illuminated like her brothers gaming rig. Sure one can. Even in pink? In those days you had to solder yourself the stuff, for such fancy colors, but she did. And she took a LOT of pink leds. She could solder like a godess, but had no idea how bright those leds were. Each graphic card hat so about 60 pink high power leds allone, neatly embedded at the fans and fins. And every part of the rig had leds. That thing was so bright, it bathed a complete LAN-party in it's pink light. You could not see any details of the impressive setup, because it was so bright. Later on she put some controllers to those leds, imitating pink flames. That was damn fancy.

17. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I recall bright neon colors being a big thing in the 80s.

Purple is my favorite color :smug:
    but pink ain't far behind :p

18. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    But did they only use two of the pedals?

And how did they sound?

Loring likes this.
  19. I also attended a show once, which also started around 7:30 or 8 and lasted for 3 hours, and this bass player dude, man you wouldn't believe the giant layout of gear he had. Bass synth pedals and keyboards and crap, unbelievable how much space he took up. I thought he sounded pretty good, though, and to be fair, his drummer had an overly large kit as well, so I guess he couldn't complain. I think there's a pic around here of that guy's rig...oh, wait, found it.

[​IMG]

;)

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The pink neon color is absolutely perfect for an 80's gig.
    It takes a lot of effects to play guitar 80's style. They were everywhere.
    Granted, nowadays any entry-level multi has them all without taking space but he did it with style.
    What guitar did he use ? Jackson, Charvel, BC Rich ?

AlvarHanso and Spectrum like this.