1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why so much hate for slap??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Big Shrek, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. It's almost impossible to play anything from the 70's & 80's without
    using slap...so why all the hate?? I get that some folks try to apply it
    to everything, which slap really isn't meant for everything...but it does
    have legitimate playing uses!

So is it a case of folks hating on it because it's really best for Disco/Motown,
    and should never be used elsewhere?? Or just a general slap hate as a whole??

It should be a tool in every bassists arsenal, to my way of thinking.
    Not the only tool, just one of several screwdrivers... ;)

2. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Ok, I'll bite.

f9eac58da5bb92babcf094e1ebe56f4c70d6f93963be2e56db755a39eeec6210.

3. Shhhhh....gotta catch a few folks first ;)

ICM, RoadRanger, Stumbo and 1 other person like this.
  4. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    As a guy who works at a guitar shop, i really wish there was any "hate" for slap. 90% of people who waltz in here and pick up a bass immediately start slapping the damn thing like it owes them money. it's the worst.

Tasteful slap bass is fine. That dude that plays for Bruno Mars is good at it.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Depends whether it's self or professionally taught?

I kid, I kid. Because it's boring and unmusical when it's done poorly. Bad fingerstyle doesn't hurt my ears....as much anyway. And I don't like it much better when it's done well. It's a sound that doesn't appeal to me personally. I love RHCP but not the earlier slap heavy stuff. I don't much care for Marcus Miller's slappy stuff. When Victor Wooten goes at it I'd rather not hear it. But I think it's generally disliked by many because it's hard to do well and easy to do badly.

Matthew_84, Pacman, Tari and 30 others like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hating Slap is seen by some as a sign of being sophisticated as opposed to the kid who just learned a Flea line. Just be yourself.

Badwater, TH63, bgrant570 and 24 others like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Please, I can think of 100 songs without slap from the '70s alone.
    If you like it, fine, but to me a lot of it sounds like one character chasing another in a video game.

joebar, Mvilmany, Tari and 19 others like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    ^This.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    So far I have never been asked to play a slap bass line, or even tap, play chords or harmonics.

I play finger style Funk, Soul and Disco in several bands. Seems to work for everyone concerned.

10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Just depends on who is doing the slapping and if it serves the song well.

Louis Johnson was the master at slap. He knew when to use it and when not too. Listen to his isolated bass track on Strawberry Letter .

I never want to hear GET ON THE FLOOR played with a pick or fingerstyle. That song should be all thumb and nothing else.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Because of a resurgence of popularity because of the younger generations who listen to RHCP,Les Claypool and have seen "Seinfeld"
    Not because of us older bass players who have lived through the initial rise of it.
    Now there's also media saturation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    zenandzen and BuffaloBill like this.
  12. I wonder if McCartney slaps..

Let's ask the richest bass player in the world..

hillerup, RichardW, smogg and 5 others like this.
  13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'm pretty sure JPJ didn't.

14. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Not sure how anyone could hate this, if only because you gotta respect the time it took to get this good.

15. Kun2112

Kun2112

Nov 2, 2013
    There was a time in the 90's to early 00's where slapping became the bassist equivalent of Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven, and Freebird all in one. Well, at the music stores anyway. People who worked there hated slapping as much as the afore-mentioned songs.
    In the giging world there was a perception by a lot of under-30 guitarists, singers, and drummers who considered slapping an indicator of overall chops. After all, most of he hip big-name bassists slapped. Most of the bassist wanted ads I saw back then had "must be able to slap" for non-metal and non-punk/ska rock bands. That caused two things: lots of bad slapping and lots of musically inappropriate slapping.
    Those are the two reasons for the hate, IMHO.
    Slapping is like brussels sprouts: done right and paired correctly, a real treat; but if it just sits in a boiling pot without proper seasoning, it is a mushy abomination that can ruin a perfectly good evening.

16. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I don't really hate slap, it's pretty neat to see a bassist shred a slap bass solo but personally it all sounds the same. Granted I don't play slap bass, not my style of playing. But I would love to learn one day so I could play some Primus and maybe branch out my song writing a little bit.

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    So true... (mic drop... but only after I slapped it a few times)...

... one of these days, I'm going to sit down and add it to my toolbox... if there were only a few more hours in the day...

Old Blastard and jamro217 like this.
  18. Tastefully done it's good at times...most is overdone and sometimes really annoying.
    Seems to be more of a hey, look at me thing.

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I love slap when done musically (eg, Larry Graham, Freddie Washington). I hate mindless slap almost always shown in Youtube demo vids.

20. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    That post cracked me up! Partly because it speaks the truth! :thumbsup:

hillerup, Berniez40, Mr.Ace and 7 others like this.