1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why So Nasty? — TB Etiquette

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by David_70, Aug 8, 2019.

1. David_70

David_70

Mar 28, 2012
    I first came to TB in 2012, and am by no means a frequent flier. Come to get answers from a wealth of historical threads from time-to-time, to poke around when I’m bored — and mainly to browse or buy/sell from the Classifieds. Just bought and sold basses here in the past couple of months — interacted with super people in both cases.

HOWEVER, it seems to me that the tone in a lot of the threads today — versus even 7 years ago — is increasingly hostile, snarky, impatient, and just plain rude. Why? This isn’t a politics forum — we’re talking about an instrument (albeit cool as heck) that produces low notes. Not too controversial...

If people want to start picking passive aggressive fights behind the safety and comfort of their PC or smartphone — CNN or Fox is ripe for this, with plenty of comment threads and fireworks for your entertainment.

How about saving Talkbass for legit questions and answers — attacking the OP less, and keeping it light-hearted and well, simply less...nasty.

michabass, vancityjoe, MaxC and 281 others like this.
  2. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Cambridge, Ontario
    Can't argue with that. I'm in. Let's see how long the peace lasts.

Frankula, nozkcb, Pbassmanca and 39 others like this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Talkbass is one of the most polite, well moderated sites I've been on. Compared to the hellscapes that are Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, and 4/8 Chan it is Sunday School.

4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think it's because as more and more of us qualify for the 'Grumpy Old Gits' club, we realise life is just too short and precious a commodity to be wasting on some of the insignificant issues raised here.
    As we near death, we strive to impart the wisdom of our life experience before it's too late.

Also, it's fun rilin' up the young un's.:D

slofut, Markamb1, Julian G and 41 others like this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    *flips table*

6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    If you want nasty, go to either of the biggest Les Paul forums. Those guys get your family involved, and your Moms sexual preferences.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I agree with this. TB mods are pretty good about shutting down negative posts and threads, and even go so far as to ban repeat offenders.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I suggest copious use of the "Ignore" feature. :D

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    giphy.

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Agreed. Try spending some time on motorcycle or car forums!

11. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Most of the guitar forums are like post-apocalyptic battlegrounds. Some of those guys have no class, but there are exceptions. TB is far more civilized--by light-years.

There's also a higher collective IQ among bass players, so you'll get far better advice on a wide range of topics than you will on other sites.

The only other forum that's comparable ( that I know of) are the guys at the Mandolin Cafe ( just don't talk about anything other than mandolins ;)).

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Agreed. If anything it's close to being over-moderated.

13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's a lot better than it used to be but I don't like the culture on here where someone can attack you with really vicious personal stuff and you can't respond in kind...you have to be a tattletale or get thrown off for responding. Used to be the person leading the attack would get unscathed, but at least they do something about that now.

But I'm with the OP on this...sometimes I get impatient with people for not listening :D but I do try to be polite and courteous, and I think most people do, too. But it's the rude ones who are the loudest, and it makes it seem like a free for all at times. Still, most people are great and try to be helpful. However, I can think of at least two people on here or formerly on here that I would gladly punch right in the throat if I ever came face to face with them. But I just ignore them these days...due to age, my throat punching days are by and large over :D

15. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Golf forums are the worst. So many people with a passion for the same thing, and so much hate for each other.
    I used to be part of boating forum where the mod would ding you if you asked a question that wasn't about the OP, or brought up an old thread.

16. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    yes, for some reason, sometimes it does feel like this:

giphy (14). giphy (15). giphy (16). giphy (19). giphy (20). giphy (22). fc5c37a0f77b772627906126bc380ac5af77041a.

17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Wow. Really? You would think that is a pretty easy thing to talk about without a fight breaking out.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just Harley vs Honda or Yamaha is enough to cause a fight to break out! Hell, you couldn't pay me to sit on a motorcycle and even I know that!!!

19. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Meh. I think people are way too sensitive about what strangers type at them.

20. You should try hi-fi forums. :rollno: