1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why String through the body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phantasm, May 12, 2006.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What's the advantage vs. just stringing through the bridge?

I've been stringing through the body with my Lakland since I bought it, but I haven't found an answer anywhere as to why this is beneficial or how it affects the sound.

2. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I have heard that it increases sustain.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you read up there are debates that pop up from time to time as to the benefits of this. Some people will say it affects the string tensions, others will say that there is no scientific proof of that.

I personally believe that it doesn't necessarily change sustain or tension...i think it changes the feel of the string. But there are more drastic variables like what gauge string you use and what the winding type is that will affect the sound more.

4. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    +1. Exactly.

5. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    Logically, I would have thought it converts the vibrations in your string through the body better, than a top-loading bridge. And so gives better resonance and sustain, all round improving sound quality, maybe only a little bit though.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    My take on it is: Because you can.

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    word. :)

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    to big boid...

9. However...

10. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    But, in my experience, basses strung at the bridge are much easier to slap on than basses strung through body because of less "perceived" string tension.

11. Thats pretty much it!! There is a thread going round on this forum recently which has some links to a site that has Sterling Ball from Musicman demonstrating a heap of the EBMM basses. There is one video that has Sterling playing an Anniversary Stingray. This particular ray has a string through body setup. He says that Musicman believe this serves no purpose what so ever and that they did it purely because thats how it used to be done. He also didn't say it was any worse...
    So there you have it... Even the guys (well EB ayway) making the basses believe it serves no purpose.

12. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    just like half of the "beneficial" innovations in guitar.

its all about you personal opinion, not TB-ers.

13. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I have string-thru options on my Peaveys... I can't say for sure than they sound noticably better strung either way, but putting on new strings is loads easier going thru body..

;)

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Very true, I hate changing strings on string through basses. That seals it for me.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

To keep the ferrules from falling out. :bag:

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    The tensions should be the same; otherwise the tuning would change (assuming the same length of strings).

Three things:

1) You might use less string on bridge connections.

2) The string bend angle into and thru the body may not be a factor on string life since it looks less than the bend angle of the strings to the tuning posts.

3) The perpendicular and parallel (to the string) components of the string vibrations could be a factor in sustain. Perhaps a string bridge with free-rolling rollers [edit] would separate the vibrating components (x-axis and y-axis) to the body. (You might lose the the transmission of z-axis vibrations). Has this been done? Any thoughts on this?

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hahaha! :p

I play medium-scale basses, and I use string-through body because that allows me to use any sort of regular scale strings instead of hunting around for medium-scale strings with less variety available.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My only guess would be that it brings out the wood of the bass more than not stringing it through. It makes the strings and the body "one", and the body resonates better.

I really don't know if I'm right or wrong.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Don't feel bad. No one else really knows if you're right or wrong, either.

20. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think it changes the tone slightly...making it more woody sounding. As far as tension goes...of course it doesn't change the tension but I have definitely felt a difference in how tight or the perceived tension feels. I have noticed that strings feel slightly harder going through body...but...this also could be a my imagination playing tricks with me.