1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why would you sell a custom bass for $40?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lumpy_Bass, Oct 14, 2010.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Thats not a custom bass, its an ibanez ergodyne (looks like one of the first early models) http://www.gbase.com/gear/ibanez-ergodyne-edb-705-ebd705-5-2001 and for 40$ I'd be hesitant to buy it as I figure for that cheap its probably stolen. Looks like its been refinished badly and headstock sanded maybe to eliminate any chances of being traced.

2. Because it's a POS. Nothing custom about that. Just a bastardized Ibanez body with a random neck. I would pass even at that price.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Maybe custom means "I hacked it up on my own to the point where it's no longer playable?"
    This isn't a custom bass in the sense of being created by a luthier. It's a very cheap ebay bass that has been hit by a black paint spray can. Possibly not worth the $40 he's asking, since I bet nothing was masked before being haphazardously painted.

4. I'd give him 5 bucks and then use it as a stage prop(read smash to pieces)

5. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    Not having strings installed is usually a good sign that the instrument in question is pretty ****ed up (inch high action, seized tuners, nonfunctional electronics, etc.)

6. Tuners, knobs, pickups, maybe electronics, and bridge are worth that, even if the neck and body are completely non-functional. Buy it and make it a nice functional bass project out of it.

I can't believe there are people saying $40 is too much, the economy isn't that great right now in case you haven't heard. :)
    Dirk

7. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    It might make a nice floor lamp......:bag:

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I wouldn't pay any more than a dollar for it.

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    woz-1.jpg