1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I die?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geof_, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. No, but don’t

80 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Carrots

27 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    29BA58EB-8FB3-4156-8B32-D37667533D0B.jpeg

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Don't ask, just replace it.
    You know it's the right thing to do.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Oh, I thought this was about putting flats on a Stingray. Or swapping tort for parchment. Or posting something mean about Jaco.

No, you won't die. Depending on the circumstances (the infrastructure you plug into) you may or may not get a little buzz. Or you might not want to touch your teeth to a microphone. But you won't die.
    Still a pretty good idea to get that fixed, should cost you about $3.00 for a new jack. Use a meter/tester if you have one because you can assume the 3 wires are not colored how you would expect.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yes... in 30-50 years from now.

Oh, and fix that cord, it's easy and cheap :smug:

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

This reminds me that I'm still pissed off that neither my gaming console or my computer have a Ground!

it causes a noisy ground-loop, or summat, when I try to use my amp together with either of them

6. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Fair enough.

7. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good call!

jamro217 likes this.
  8. nbsipics

nbsipics The Virtues of Cruising Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Funny opening, relative to now, and in my kind of humor vein. Good OP!

Reminds me of the time when I garbage-picked a Zenith stereo console from my neighborhood alley.

Preceded with it right up to the Knotty Pine upstairs bedroom in our small bungalow home.
    10 years old I was, I think. ( I remember, so I guess I was there ).

After some tinkering - which consisted of crossing various wires to see what it would do to "fix" it - I learned a valuable lesson about that little round connector in the middle. And back then? What was a ground wire?

9. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, you will die.

10. 2 out 3 of those guys were electrocuted. One of them choked on his harmonica. I don't know what to say about that guy.

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    You might

there’s a good reason for that prong.

You might not , as long as your amp doesn’t develop an electrical short to anything metal or conductive that you might touch.

you could also have the intact plug , but a miswired or faulty electrical system that won’t allow a ground path.

electricity wants to go to ground , always looking searching determined to get there. Takes the easiest path as well , even if it’s you.

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Having burned my lips on a mic, I think grounding is good.

13. No.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  14. But have you really lived?

15. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    You might not. But you might.

Come up off dat wallet for the pittance it would cost you fix this.

EatS1stBassist and retslock like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Everyone will die eventually, unless they figure out how to make us live "forever" by turning off our aging genes, or preserving our telemeres. Problem is, even if we don't die from old age, eventually the sun's increasing output will boil the oceans, and we will all die. Of course, the next big asteroid will probably do the trick before that. Unless we figure out how to divert it well ahead of time. But nonetheless, something will get you (and all of us) soooner or later.

Short answer: yes.

Still, no need to hasten the process. Make sure everything is properly grounded. Or play with a wireless so you won't ever be part of a power circuit.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Roger W, PsyDocHill, Sid Fang and 9 others like this.
  17. You probably won't die, but that lack of ground isn't helping your odds. It's easy enough to change/address. Not worth the risk.

18. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    "We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones
    Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born
    The potential people who could have been here in my place
    But who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara
    Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton
    We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA
    So massively exceeds the set of actual people
    In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here
    We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds
    How dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state
    From which the vast majority have never stirred?"
    - Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish "The Greatest Show on Earth"

And get your cord fixed.

19. Nice....go "existential"

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021