1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I need a DI?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JordanP, Mar 9, 2008.

1. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    So I bought the EBS valvedrive preamp/overdrive pedal. I was wondering, if I wanted to record this directly in, would i just run the line in to my interface? Or would I need to run it into a DI first?

2. What's the interface?

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It doesnt have a XLR out so the short answer is yes. If your interface has a built in DI, like a quarter inch in you would be ok without one. Thats kinda grey area cuz it says its a preamp, but it looks more like an FX pedal to me. If it were me Id run a DI after it, but depending on what your recording to, it may not be nessecary.

4. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    It's an FX pedal (I love mine), run it through your FX loop or in your regular chain but would go after it unless you're able to have your DI bypass your FX loop.

I think there are a few people that use it as a preamp, I don't.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Try it without a DI if it works then hoorah you don't need a DI

6. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    Running it into last years firepod, thanks for all the advice, ill give each thing a shot and see what sounds best!

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yea you will be fine then. I find that a DI sometimes cleans up the signal and or colors the sound in a pleasing way, but the difference is pretty small.

8. On The DL

On The DL

Apr 1, 2008
    KC
    I have the EBS Valve Drive as well. While it does give some warmth to the tone with the tube, it tends to be noisy with the pedal engaged. Also, I find the EQ not nearly as versatiile for a pedal of that price. I've been experimenting with using the EBS and my Radial Bassbone by keeping the drive turned down, but still activated so I get the warmth of the tube as well.