Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Lee..?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tbeers, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I recently bought a Best of Brecker Brothers CD and there is this one track called "Straphangin'" that I can't stop listening to. The bassist plays some really out-there stuff but I'm really into his style. I believe his name was Will Lee, but I am not sure. Does anyone know more about this electric bassist? Again, I may not have the name right... but he definitely recorded with the Brecker Brothers (obviously).

2. Will Lee is the bassist on Late Night with David Letterman, a studio player who works primarily in New York and is generally considered one of the finest, most reliable pocket players alive today by people who work in the same circles......He has been commanding triple scale or MORE for over 20 years now.......He is also quite an excellent vocalist who does a LOT of the voice work for major campaign adverstising.....AND he is a very down to earth and nice person.....

check out his website here......it will give you a LOT of info about him.....and you should also do a search in these forums for Will Lee

http://www.willlee.com/home.php

Peace,

T

3. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    The album Straphangin' (and it's title track, to which you refer) was recorded by Marcus Miller, check out his solo on "Not Ethiopia".

Easy,
    R

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yup, It's Marcus Miller on that one.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's so weird! I could have SWORN it said Will Lee in the liner notes!

Well, thanks for all the good info, all of you....

edit: I understand, now. Since this was a best-of disc, maybe the fact that there were multiple bassists got lost in the shuffle.

6. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I saw Will Lee play in New York a month and a half ago with his band, The Fab Faux. They're basically the world's greatest Beatles cover band. He's an amazing musician and an equally talented singer.

Needless to say, it was a great show. They nailed every song note for note and probably played them better than the Beatles ever could have.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A "Best Of The Brecker Brothers" CD should have Will Lee, Neil Jason, Marcus Miller + maybe James Genus listed in the credits.

"Straphanging" is a nasty groove.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup.
    :p

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Will Lee = awesome.

On the Bass Extremes Cookbook CD-the Tune "Bassically Yours" it's Steve Bailey on 6 string fretless & back ground vox, Victor Wooten on 4 string Tenor i believe [A-C] w/backing vox, and then Will Lee on Low 4 [B-D] and lead vocals. Great on all counts.

That's all

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Did Will play left-handed?

11. LOL - he probably could! He's that good! :D

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Will Lee is also on the "Who Loves You?" CD tribute to Jaco Pastorius. He sings and plays bass on "Come On, Come Over."

13. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Ha, not quite. He did, however, have a rickenbacker, a hofner, and a fender six on hand and and played each one according to how they're used in the original recordings. Great stuff.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    y'all know that Will Lee did the ever-famous voice work for The Army...

"Be... All that you can Be, in the Army"

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i didn't know he did that...cool

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There aren't many bass players on the planet that can play as Hot as Uncle Will and hold down a rock solid groove at the same time.

There probably ain't many bass players on the planet making more money than Uncle Will either.

Thats worth a moment or two of thought.....

17. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I taught him everything he knows... :bag: ;)

18. If you want to hear a nasty Will Lee groove, check out "Groovus Interruptus" from Dennis Chambers' CD Outbreak. It is as simple as it gets, but, man does it groove!!!!

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hijack warning......I always dug Neil Jason's playing and tone with the Breckers....killer Jazz-bass tone! His work on Heavy Metal Bebop is steller!

20. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    umm, if you're talking about the 1978 release, then i'm pretty sure it's Will on that one. not sure how reliable this is, but here goes:
    http://www.dancefloor.com/FUSION/breckbro.html

Regardless, Will's a fantastic player. I'm pretty sure that's him on Bob Berg's CD ("Short Stories"). HUGE sounding walking line on "Friday Night(...)". One of my fav's!

Also, I recall seeing him in the credits for Mike Stern's "Is What It Is". Great player all'round.