Will This Head Be Powerful Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iualum, May 31, 2004.

1. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Want to get a 2x10(600 Watts RMS, 8 Ohm) & a 2x12(600 Watts RMS, 8 Ohm). Also want to get a Mesa 400+. Will the Mesa push both with no problem? Know it's a great amp...sorry if this is a crazy question. Thanks.
  2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003

What do you mean? What is your concern?

Are you asking because you are concerned that the head watts is less than the speaker watts?

Are you really wanting to know if you will have enough volume? Then you need to tell us what place you will be playing. Bar. Church. Garage. Royal Albert Hall. Madison Square Garden. Will your signal go through a pa? Will you play outside with no pa?

From the website:

"No less than twelve fan-cooled 6L6 output tubes deliver 500 watts of transient power peaks with cool reliability. And this is no dirty dozen: this is a four-rack, twelve-pack of pure mean punch. You’ll be happy to know that tube life is commonly reported to range from three to five years, and often longer."

"500 Watts, All Tube, Class A/B Power / 12x6L6, 4x12AX7"

Wow. 500 watts all tube. I have an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, and I bet this Mesa will be as loud or louder than my Ampeg.

3. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, concerned because the head watts is less than the 2 cabs, 300 RMS vs. 1200 RMS. Thanks.
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    There shouldn't be a problem at all. my cab is rated at 1400W and my head is only putting out around 180 because it's only 1 8 ohm. I never have problems.
  5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Search for these threads under Amps:

"Mesa 400+ vs Mesa 400"

"Tube vs. transistor"

"Best all tube bass head: Eden V.S Ampeg V.S Mesa Boogie"

You are going to enjoy that reading material...
  6. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks. Will do.
  7. Remember when the SVT came out, it was made to drive two 8x10s, and it did, no problem. Speaker watts are merely a rating, if you put 100 wats into a hundred watt speaker then as long as the signal is not distorted (clipped) then it will be fine all night long. If the signal is clipped at only fifty watts then the chance of blowing the speaker is very likely. Its generally accepted that there is more chance of blowing a driver driving it at double the rating rather than half clipped. You speaker rating in watts is generally what it will accept. My peavey 410TVX is rated at 350w RMS but I drive it at 200 with my Trace Elliot V4, It has the ability to drive to cab to near maximum in terms of sound pressure level and speaker flap.