1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will two cabs split the wattage of my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidkrejci, Jul 9, 2014.

1. davidkrejci

davidkrejci

Jul 9, 2014
    So i have one 8ohm 200 watt ampeg cab. I'm looking to get a 500 watt head but worried that I'll blow out my cab because of over powering it. If i get another cab to hook up to the head will half of the wattage go to one cab will the other half goes to the other?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If it's 500 watts at 4 ohms it will put out around 250 watts at 8. So you'd be pretty ok with both a single cab or a pair as long as you don't crank it to 10.

Now, if it's 500 watts at 8 ohms, that's 1000 watts at 4, so even with two cabs you could blow speakers if you push it with the volume.

Sent from my iPad using TalkBass

3. What cab?

4. davidkrejci

davidkrejci

Jul 9, 2014
    The head is switchable from 4 to 8 ohms. The head is 500 at 4 or 8 ohms

5. Which amp, which cab?

6. davidkrejci

davidkrejci

Jul 9, 2014
    An ampeg bse4x10h and the orange terror 500

7. That is an odd amp (head) unless it is a tube amp...

If you attach two cabinets to the amp and both cabs have the same impedance then they will split the wattage that the head outputs.

If the cabinets have different impedances then each gets wattage inversely proportional to it impedance; if one is 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms than the 4 ohm cabinet will get twice the wattage of the 8 ohm cabinet.

This works out to the 4 ohm box getting 2/3 of the output wattage, and the 8 ohm box getting 1/3 of the output wattage.

8. davidkrejci

davidkrejci

Jul 9, 2014
    It is a "hybrid" head. Both tube and solid state. Thank you though. So if i got another cab at 8 ohms both would recieve 250 watts?

9. If they are both 8 ohm cabinets, yes, they would each get 250 watts.

10. davidkrejci

davidkrejci

Jul 9, 2014
    Awesome thank you. So i'd definitely be better off getting another 8 ohm cab instead of just pushing it through my one 200 watt cab?

11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Not familiar w/the head but sounds like your assumption is correct (2 8ohm cabs would get 250 watts each). Probably more w/peaks. Will you blow a single cab? TOTALLY depends on how hard you push it. I saw a guy play a single 1X12 cab w/ an 1100W amp (on tour). Sounded great. What are you volume needs is the pertinent question. Use your ears. If the cab is struggling add another. If not, you are fine.

Having said that, having 2 cabs (ideally matching) has it's advantages, as long as you have the cash and don't mind the schelp. They look bitchin', the extra height makes it easier to hear yourself if you are right in front of the rig, and you can leave one at the doghouse (rehearsal space) and one at home for practice. Just bring the head back and forth, and bring both cabs for gigs that may require the extra volume.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  12. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    Terror Bass 500 has been known to throw over 700W in some peak situations. Don't dime the volume with only 500W of cab. I put a TB1000 up against a OBC410 (600W) and OBC115 (400W) @ 4ohm amp output and they were definitely struggling even at half to 3/4 volume.

13. Thijs V

Thijs V

Feb 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    Hybrid means tube pre and ss poweramp. So it is actually a ss amp. Guess it is a class d

14. I run my 1400 watt SVT 4 Pro into a single 15 (190 watt rating) every week and never a problem. I do however listen to it and when I hear the speaker breaking up (very infrequently) I back off. I always have PA support so the 4 pro is a stage monitor, not filling the room...

You CAN use the head with only one cab, but you must pay attention to it or you could break it.

The same can be said for most rigs even where the amp and cab ratings are lopsided the other way.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  15. I might be stupid, but if yopu turn it up full, you can damage your speakers. So don't turn it up!

Speakers usually sound bad when they're being overdriven, so you get a warning - but if they are your speakers and your amp, just exercise a little restraint - I can't really imagine me ever turning mine up full - I just wouldn't do it.