1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Winning Strings?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by MonodyII, Jan 8, 2012.

1. MonodyII

MonodyII

Mar 12, 2007
    What strings are winning auditions these days? anybody?

2. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

Mar 20, 2007
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    havent you heard? nobody is good enough for any job!

4. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    meaning Strings are irrelevant

5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Strings aren't winning any auditions. It's the combination of player(s) and instrument(s). A player has to rely on the instrument as it is. So if you are used to a specific setup and feel you are good enough to perform an audition, then go for it without changing anything. And don't forget to bring spares and backup material, just in case.

6. Indybass091

Indybass091

Mar 1, 2009
    You have to find the right string blend that'll work the best across the board. I like to have spirocores on my top two strings so solos really pop out, a belcanto low B string replacing the E string so that extension runs can be played, and match the A string according to the unique response of the bass.

7. Fez1

Fez1

Jan 8, 2012
    People on Talkbass don't seem to bring it up because it is a sort of industry secret, but there is a particular setup that has won about 60% of the auditions in the last 15 years or so. I'm not sure what the consequences will be for letting the cat out of the bag in such a public venue...

Anyways, the Helicore Arco extra-thing gauge Solo set tuned down to orchestral pitch really seems to have all the right qualities for an audition... email a principal player who has won their job in the last decade and they will probably tell you that they used these behind the screen... superb playability and all the clarity you will need. Perhaps a little too powerful for section work but you don't want to hold anything back in the audition.

8. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Guts dude. Guts.

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Lucky underwear is what wins auditions.

10. crowsmengegus

crowsmengegus Supporting Member

Remember also to rub them down with steel wool beforehand and apply several thick coats of nose grease.

11. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I hate to venture on-topic, but a few winners of auditions in Europe have been using good ol Flexicore originals.

Wow. That was genuinely, surprisingly difficult to keep sarcasm free. :)