1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter NAMM 2017 (ultra Pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintremute, Jan 19, 2017.

1. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Title should say SUB Heavy, amiright???

tzohn, Groovybanana, blubass and 12 others like this.
  2. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Here's a shot stolen from the net at least giving some idea of the interior space of the Phoenix Club where the Bass Bash will be held this year. Looks decently large. This place is just North of the Honda center off of Ball Rd.

Phoenix_Ballroom_11-e1367012716794.jpg

I've gone to the bash for the past 5 years or so and it used to be at a sports bar called JD Schmid's just south of the Honda center on Katella. The cool thing about JT Schmid's was that parking was free and they had reasonably priced good food and beer. But you simply HAD to get there early to get a good seat.
    jt-schmid-s-restaurant.jpg
    But last year, due to overcrowding, they moved it to a place just down the street from the convention center on Harbor Blvd. called M3 Live Events Center. Parking wasn't cheap but what you could do was park there early in the day and then walk to the NAMM show from there as to not have to pay for parking twice in the day. It was a much larger space than JT Schmid's and was more "banquet hall" style. The food choices were almost nil as were the choices in drinks you could get. JT Schmid's ruled over it in regards to free parking and good food and drink but it was easier for more people to get a decent seat there due to the size of the space.
    BassBash53.jpg
    Above is Adam Nitti and band at the M3 Live Bass Bash last year playing one of his fusiony "Bottom 40" pop song interpretations. As I recall it was Working Day and Night by Michael Jackson.

Since I can't go this year I won't be able to compare the Phoenix Club to the other two venues but since I believe it also fancies itself as a restaurant I'm guessing the food and drink will be better than M3 Live.

Oh Jeeze, I just saw this announce on the Bass Bash Facebook page! Chuck Rainey was the main guy I wanted to see if I was able to make it tonight.

"There is a change to tomorrow's schedule. Unfortunately, Chuck Rainey will not be able to perform at the Bass Bash due to a death in the family. We will keep his family in our prayers.

However, we are honored to have the Latin legend Oscar Stagnaro Quintet to bring you a taste of the world's finest Latin/Jazz music there is!"

Anyways, lets hope someone we know is already there with a great seat and decent way to take pictures. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  3. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I might not make it down this year - gigs tonight, sat and sun. Fri is a day job day from hell. Maybe Sat AM if I'm energetic.

On a plus note, Presonus announced a nice looking interface that I'll likely get :D

Prayers to the Rainey family. I've been lucky enough to meet Chuck twice - once before his stroke and once afterwards. The second time I commented that it was great to see him. Chuck replied, "man, it's great to be seen!" He's freakin' awesome, sweetest guy in the world.

TomB, TMARK, Holdsg and 3 others like this.
  4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I'm subfused! I found the "watch thread" button, but where is the "sub'd" button? :whistle::help:

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    The "Watch Thread" button IS the sub'd button........:rolleyes::D

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    OH, OK. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my browser. So is this where I'm supposed to say SUB'D? :smug:

BBQisgood likes this.
  7. I really wish Ibanez made this bass of Adam's for the general public. I'd love a 5 string Ibby with Jazz pups and a maple neck.

wintremute, bdplaid and AztecViking like this.
  8. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    there's still an event at JT Schmidt's this year, it's tomorrow night.

BASS JAM.jpg

9. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Or if you want an alternative for tonight:

[​IMG]

10. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I'm really tempted to go that! I really want to see Jeff Berlin and Cody Wright. :thumbsup:

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Just hit the 'Watch Thread" button.....You don't have to "Say" anything....You'll be sub'd...

Atshen likes this.
  12. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    But wasn't Jazz Odyssey Derek Smalls' masterpiece peformed by Spinal Tap as a warmup act for a puppet show at Magic Mountain? :roflmao::D
    jazz-odyssey-o.gif
    PuppetShowAndSpinalTap02.jpg

13. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
  14. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless you're a mobile user...

Sub'd :)

TolerancEJ and Farseer like this.
  15. Super Iridium

Super Iridium

Jan 21, 2013

You are witnesses at the new birth of Spinal Tap, Mark II. I hope you like our new direction!

16. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I will be heading to the JT Schmids show tomorrow night. I'm all about the FOOD, oh, and bass.

TonyP-, wintremute, johndb and 3 others like this.
  17. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
  18. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    well, for those that are gluttons for punishment, the entire set. The second flute player turned out to be a monster. Ignore the vocals in Elanor and the wonky solo at the end was behind the back and with teeth (not practiced since my guitar days, at least the teeth part). The first act was a comedian who played a key tar with his tongue so I had to go there...

Three songs, three different basses. Just because...

Ibanez SRSC805 strung E-C on Red Clay, MTD 625-24 on Afro Blue (just got it yesterday and never gigged a 6'er), YYD on Elanor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  19. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    For the sake of first world excess I like the one bass per song concept but couldn't you push it just bit further by having a different amp for each bass and song too? :laugh:

PS. The trombone is the greatest instrument for giving a "drunken" type sonic feeling.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Gaolee likes this.
  20. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Since the Mesa head will push a 2ohm load, instead I could have run 3 different cabinets...that count?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021