1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless IEM suggestions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Arr MiHardies, May 12, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest a wireless IEM that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

2. The only two systems I've ever worked with are the Shure PSM 900 and the PSM 600. As far as wireless monitors they aren't too expensive. I would recommend them.

Anything wireless (be it monitors or instrument) you don't really want to skimp. Sometimes cheap systems can give you more headaches and have been known to turn people off of using them.

3. Its funny. Right after I got a wireless transmitter for my bass, so I wouldn't be tethered to anything anymore by my instrument, my church went and got a new soundboard with aviom personal in ear monitors that allow each player to adjust his own mix as he sees fit. However, they aren't wireless, so instead of being tethered by my bass, I'm now tethered by my guitar.

I really only need it for a very short range. say < 30'. Id even be fine with a wireless headphone adaptor of some sort if it were very low latency.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Shure PSM 200.. get a Rolls PM351 and you'll be golden with the pair.

5. MNAirHead

You can plug a Shure into this sytem.. I've done it countless times.

6. With Avioms at my church, most of the instrumentalists just use a 20' 1/4" male to 1/8" female headphone extenders from Radio Shack. I've used that ever since I've played with Avioms. In my experience 20 feet is actually a really long distance, especially when it comes to being on a worship team. There was one time I walked halfway across the stage before I remembered I was "tethered" to my aviom (needless to say it quickly met with the floor).

If you're still interested in going wireless, my church uses the PSM 600 and 900 with 1/4" stereo male to Left and Right mono XLR connections so you'd take the 1/4" out of the Aviom to the XLR Ins of the wireless system.

7. Oh, it's not a question of wether it can be done. I've done it myself with my churches wireless system. But let's just say their wireless is less than reliable, so I was just looking into getting my own. Right now we use headphone extensions as well, but I keep finding myself tripping over them, or them getting caught on my boots.

8. MNAirHead

An easier worship setup is to get a non amplified "mains" and then mix your self through a Rolls Pm351 then transmit to your wireless....

Avioms are cool --- assuming nobody dorks with your setup.

9. I also run the sound board when I'm not playing. We are using an Allen and Heath iLive T112. Rally nice board. No one else on this particular worship team really knows how to mess with the settings, and each venue has it's own "scenes" that can be recalled instantly if anything gets messed up. It's a nice setup.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I played in two churches that rolled like that. HATED IT. Now playing with a band that runs IEM on a Shure wireless system and LOVE IT.

JMO but if you're gonna go IEM then go all-in and go wireless or you're really not gaining that much.

11. Lyken23

Lyken23

May 8, 2011
    If you can afford them the Shure PSM900 are the way to go, however if you need something more affordable start looking at the PSM200 series and work your way up.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    In my honest opinion (IMHO) it's less about the hardware and more about the Earbuds.

About any of the hardware units work fine. But there is IMMENSE difference in the quality of earbuds, and what's 'good enough' varies greatly person to person. Much like amps, cabinets and basses. Just depends if you're comfortable with the equivilent of SX, Fender or Ritter for Earbuds.

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Agreed about the earbuds.

One thing with my band's Shure system... those receiver packs really rip through the batteries. And when the battery runs down you lose everything, just like THAT. I'm pushing it to get to get 2, 4-hour shows out of one 9V battery. So when you play as often as we do, that gets a little spendy.

14. Anyone familiar with the Nady EO3EE? Looks like it runs about $140.

15. That is true, one way around that though is to change your battery every set and don't touch the old one for the rest of the gig. Newer batteries will recharge to a certain level.

16. Yes I agree. I went from a wired, to Shure PSM200 to a Sen G3. I upgraded to Westone UM2 bnuds with just the black tips and made a world of diff. Until them I was using Senn. IPod type buds. CX300 or something. Though good they couldn't compare to the Westones UM2 out of the box. I keep the Senn buds for backup. FWIW these were not the buds that came with the Senn. G3.