Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless questions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, May 22, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey everyone

I am intrested in buying a budget but reliable wireless system and I am wondering does anyone have suggestions for what frequency or what company?also i wil probably hook my distortion up to the amp via cable and then go wirelss from pedal to me.

Thanks guys

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you aren't willing to spend the money on a decent wireless system, then I would say forget it. "Budget" wireless systems will suck your tone, and won't hold up. It's better to not have a wireless system than a bad one.

That said, Sennheiser is making some pretty decent models based on the old XWire technology (which is the shizzle). It's a digital system that *supposedly* doesn't mess with your signal, even though there is some companding going on. It's not the same, but it's close. I want to say they run around $700 or so.

I say get yourself a good 20' cable and be happy with that until you are playing the Enormo-dome.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    AKG WMS-80(or Guitar Center's WR-2000) is a good one. True diversity and can be had used for the same price as a new WMS-40(also a good unit). I paid $150 for mine. it uses AA batteries, so cheaper than 9V.

4. If you're in the market for a wireless system, first off make sure you get one that's in the UHF band. VHF wireless systems pick up interference much more. Nothing sucks like being on stage, and all of a sudden having the late nite traffic report come through your amp (which has happened to me).

As for brands, Shure makes some really good stuff. Most of their stuff is reasonably priced for a "bassist on a budget" (around $500). So you might want to look into that. Another good brand in Samson, but I'm not too sure about their prices.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, I have the Shure and had a similar experience. Not traffic report (and actually the odds of what happened to me are very slim). But it was the first time I used the wireless live and we had just finished sound check. I got off stage to get a drink and the club was still quiet, doors had just opened. I'm getting a drink and all of a sudden my bass starts playing, and a cool line at that! Next door at another club a guy had the same wireless unit with the same frequency (they have many frequencies so the odds of someone else within range having the same one is crazy). But everyone in the club just stopped dead and stared at my bass as if it were haunted. It was great. Get the shure, great tone, great range (as demonstrated) and very easy to use. A little pricey but worth it.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have a Shure TD guitarist VHF unit. I saw one go recently on eBay for $90. The only time I've had interference problems was when we set up on the outside wall of a Fire Station. I shortened the length of my antennas and reoriented their position and that fixed the problem. As far as UHF Or VHF, all the bands are taken by commercial or emergency licensees. I recommended the Sennheisers to a couple of friends of mine and regret it. They eat up 9 volt batteries in less than 2 hours. My Shure gets 14 hours of use on one battery. The Sennheiser sounded great but the battery consumption is unacceptable. YMMV, but I doubt it.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They sell for about $250. I own one.

Peace
    Nick

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to add that its an incredible system.

Once flaw, it eats bateries. I would recommend buying the cheapest ones you can find and replacing them before each show or just buying rechargeables.

Peace
    Nick

9. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

No, no, no. Don't ever buy cheap batteries. They'll go even quicker. I've had problems where cheap batteries didn't make it past the 2nd song in a set. Just invest in a big pack of batteries (they're cheaper that way) and replace them every show.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well thing is I replace them before every show anyways.

The good ones last through a show or two, and the cheap ones through one. Either way Id replace them before each show so it doesnt matter.

Buy a big box of cheap batteries and really save! :D

Peace
    Nick