1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless transmitter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Armaz, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Armaz

Armaz

Feb 5, 2007
    I'm interested in buying some cheap, one channel wireless transmitter to use with my basses, instead of having using a cable... does anyone happen to know where I could buy one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi.

This will sound stupid and naive, I know, but somewhere where You live.

Different countries have different regulations and different available bands. You also want to make sure that the system You're using is going to work in your area with the other activities sharing those bands.

If You live in a remote area (RF traffic-wise), You can go cheap, but that's not advisable. If the available bands are crowded, cheap will only give You grief. Expensive might give You grief also, but then You'll have a place where you can complain, if You bought it locally.

What ever You do, keep always a cord in Your bag/case/whatever.

I accidentally killed a thread by giving an educated estimate of the cost involved (multiband), so I won't do it here ;) .

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

3. dylanhes

dylanhes

Jun 23, 2007

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you buy a cheap one, you will be selling it soon and buying a better one, if the cheap one doesn't completely turn you off to wireless. Face it, your sound is all you have. If you want crappy sound, not many things will do that for you better than a cheap wireless.

If you come to your senses and want to buy a real wireless, you won't find lower prices or better service than Northern Sound and Light.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, do a search on wireless. There will be several days worth of reading for you there.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Shure PGX14 Wireless for Guitar/Bass. It's about the best bang for the buck out there.Works pretty good. Strong signal and about a 200' range. It's not too expensive but still plan on spending about $350-$400.00 for one.

I have tried the Samson unit. I liked the idea that there is no body pack but it just didn't work very good. Seemed to have a short range and signal seemed effected by everything.

After trying both and having good luck with the Shure PGX 24 wireless microphones I'm going with a PGX for myself.

Take Munji's advice and stay away from the cheapo units.

7. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Save yourself the headache and don't buy cheap.
    I use the Shure ULX-P, probably more on the expensive side,buy well worth it.
    The search suggestion is something you should use, there have been several threads on the subject.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    From my experience playing weddings and parties etc my AKG Guitar Bug has not given me any trouble at all.
    Sure, quality isnt the same as a lead but then once the band start up no one can tell. And i have EQ. Ive used mine for nearly 70 gigs and the only trouble i have had is because its a single freq i have had to be careful not to clash with a DJ or house radio mic (and that's only happened twice)

Of course it all depends on the gigs etc but ive not had any headaches using mine.
    I now have a AKG WMS400 and that's a much better unit, not expensive and has loads of freq's to choose from better sound quality etc.

IMHO you should try one, it may be fine. No one has asked what situation you will be using them either.

9. AEONmw

AEONmw

Jun 24, 2007
    Chico California
    ..very pricey, but definitely the best. You might be able to pick up something on ebay for around $1500 or so.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You get what you pay for. I won't consider using a wireless under $300 these days. I've used many a cheap transmitter and have always gone back to cable.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I just ordered an X-2 wireless from JiveSound.com. It's a relatively new product, but the first reviews have been awesome. Unfortunately, mine will take at least a couple of weeks to get here from the USA, so I can't give you a review very soon.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I look forward to hearing your views on this. I would like to get one to use in the UK.
    The only thing putting me off is the battery life. I know with my GB i get about 3-4 gigs out of 1AAA battery.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021