1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring help: Dimarzio Model Js with V/B/T and a series/parallel switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jbutts88, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

Mar 3, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm new to this wiring thing, have been doing some research, but haven't exactly found my answer.

I've got Model Js in my Geddy Lee and have decided to switch to volume/blend/tone/ and an s/p switch. I have found some wiring diagrams for regular Jbass pups, but will the model Js require any difference? Can I just solder and tape the black and white together and everything else be the same? Here is the closest diagram I've found. Thanks for your help guys

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=273223&d=1340017044

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, just solder the black and white wires together and everything should be the same.

3. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I want to convert my Marcus Miller 5 to V/B/T/T while still being connected to the onboard preamp. Will a wiring like the one mention above work or will it require a more elaborate setup? Thanks!

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, that will work fine.

5. Your diagram is incorrect. First off, you need to swap the first and second terminals of the volume pot to prevent an unnecessary variable impedance loading effect. Second, the tone control is completely miswired. The connection from the jack should go to the terminal on the right, in the diagram, and then the capacitor should be moved over to the wiper terminal.

6. Jbutts88

Jbutts88

Mar 3, 2013
    Yep, I figured out all the wrong ways to wire at first :D Just ignore that diagram.

Cadfaels wiring diagram is correct.

7. No idea how to wire this, but like your target goal.