Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Purvel, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Purvel

Oct 8, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    So I'm thinking about placing an order for a Wishbass. It'll be a 'Peanut'-type body, and I told Wish I wanted a bridge made of wood to better match the body. Anyone have any suggestions to other things I should change from the standard, like an adjustable bridge or different pickups?
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  3. Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Jul 8, 2005
    Uh oh, I know how the last one of these turned out... :bag:
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    And the floodgates have opened...
  5. ...yet again! Get the flame suits out, I feel some heat coming.
  6. Purvel

Oct 8, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I take it Wishbasses have been discussed before? :)
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The moment I saw the title of this thread my heart sank...

If you want some experienced opinions on Wishbass read this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144940

DO NOT BUY A WISH WITHOUT READING IT!!! You have to sift through many pages but once you get to the opinions of the recipients of the bass you will get some idea why Wish is mocked around here.
  8. Let's see...along with the difference between P-Basses and J-Basses, Essex basses and the attributes of BadAss bridges, there aren't usually more than ten threads each a week.
  9. Purvel

Oct 8, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Thanks for the link, I'm on page two at the moment :)
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Don't forget to read the original "TalkBass Let's Buy A Wish" thread with the original TalkBass Wishbass. I had it at my place for about a month. Easily the worst bass I've ever played.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Let's not let this get stupid, please. Purvel, you should be able to get all the info and then some from previous threads on these.

If anyone has anything useful to add to this, post away. If not, let's just keep it to ourselves, m'kay?
  12. Purvel

Oct 8, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Yeah, I realized after I posted the thread that there are plenty a post about Wishbasses :)
    So, if not a Wish, anyone have suggestions on similarly priced 5-stringed fretless basses (just to change the topic a bit)?
  13. I have never played a wish but I have heard there are some good ones out there and those that are good, are really good. How much is a Lecompte is comparison?
  14. Purvel

Oct 8, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Ok, read through the wild escapades of the wishbass, and I doubt I'll be buying one (though it still tempts me). Again, thanks for the link and such :)
  15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    LOL Im reading all your replies and this was not what I was expecting. this guy is serious? I assume he knows what hes getting into, here. If he doesnt.. for shame.
  16. In the time I've been hanging around Talkbass, there are 3 things I have learned to beware of:

Ed Roman
    Dave Pushic
  17. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    No such animal, Im afraid.
    Maybe if you rummage through the trash of some music store for a while you can find one.
    Or try Krappy guitars. I dont know the site offhand, but im sure you can find it.
  18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

If I may be the first with a measured opinion on Wishbasses. I was in posession of TB Wish V 2.0 for about a month, and while it was far from a perfect instrument in MANY ways (and IMO the problems with it were NOT repairable as many have said) it WAS a hoot to play and didn't sound too bad. When it comes to Wish's I'd strongly suggest you NOT get a custom but instead ONLY buy one (new or used) that you can play first to check it out. I could certainly see myself owning a Wish (as my 3rd or 4th, and striclty as a novelty). If you take them for what they are, they can be well worth it, but don't expect it to be ANYWHERE near the quality of a MUCH cheaper SX.

I don't want to discredit anyone with their well deserved prejudices against Wish, but for what they are they can be cool (the better ones at least) as long as the perspective is kept in check. I do keep hoping that Wish would grow in his skill level rather than keeping on pushing out what he has been.
  19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, that's a tough one to remember....

He posts on here every once and a while. IIRC his user name is Krappy if you wanted to PM him. I like him cause he's like Wish, but without the pretense of quality.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm guessing you were looking to spend 5-700$ ?

There are plenty of decent basses around for the same price as a not-decent Wish. None of them are going to be custom builds, but you're going to end up with much more of an instrument anyway. The fretless thing makes it a bit tougher, but I suggest starting in in depth online search to find something.

I would also suggest you start looking used. That tends to be the best way to get the most bass for your bucks.