1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

With or Without Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by htharp, Mar 31, 2009.

1. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a quilted top ATK 700 Natural. I got a black pickguard for it becaues I thought it would look good on it. I have to drill screw holes so I thought I would ask opinions before I do it. My mind is pretty much made up, but what do you think

DSCN06720002.

DSCN06730003.

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I hate to do this to you but I like it both ways (the bass that is). Although I would say the bass looks more finished with the pick guard in place.

It looks very nice either way. Tough choice but if I had to pick (pun intended) I would go with the pick guard.

my 2cents,
    Todd :)

3. I like it better without...

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Pickguards FTW... if not, instruments look empty... unless the design is amazing enough, but this isn't the case, IMHO

5. with. it makes it an ATK

6. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I like it tons better without, i'd never seen one until just now.

That finish on that bass kind of reminds me of a Lakland

7. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks all, I installed it permanently.

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    You drilled into that top?

I was going to suggest using doubled sided tape.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Can't find a clear pickguard?

10. i like it with. the wood top is nice, but the black pickguard helps bring contrast (or atleast something of those words).

11. I'm usually a pickguard kinda guy,but.................

You drilled into that beautiful wood?:bawl:

12. I am usually a pickguard guy as well, but this bass looks WAY better without one.

Get a clear pickguard!

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I agree with the clear pickguard idea.

But its good you went with a guard. The bass didnt look whole without one, IMO.

14. +1

A clear one would do it for me.

15. htharp

htharp

Feb 4, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Folks, I think this one needed the black contrast. The deciding factor was the way the matching was done on the top. Look closely at the seam of the 2 pieces of quilted maple under the strings and you'll see that I did it a favor. :) I considerd a smoke colored clear guard, but I'm happy with this one. I think it looks naked and blah with all the natural wood color, and the plain maple neck mating up to the quilted maple looked a little off to me as well. Thanks for the opinions.