Wizzy 12 M-Line with Crazy 8

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mouldy, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Has anyone tried a Wizzy 12 M-line with a Crazy 8. I have a crazy 8 which I love and I'm undecided whether to buy a 12 M-line or a Crazy 88 to go with my C8, all powered by my AI Clarus. Can anyone throw some light on this? Thanks

2. There are at least a couple of potential issues here: The first is impedance. What is the lowest impedance your amp can safely drive? If your amp's lowest recommended load impedance is 4 ohms, then each speaker cabinet's rated impedance needs to be 8 ohms. If your amp's lowest recommended load impedance is 2 ohms, than each speaker's rated impedance can be as low as 4 ohms. (Most EA Wizzys I've seen have a rated impedance of 4 ohms.) The next potential issue is sensitivity. The Wizzy's rated sensitivity is relatively high -- quite a bit higher than the Crazy 8, so the Wizzy may sound quite a bit louder than the Crazy 8. Assuming the combined impedances of both cabinets is a safe load for your amp, the best way to find out how these cabinets sound together is to try them together. You may like the way they sound together, and you may not. You may also find that the extra cabinet is not really worth the trouble. One thing is for sure, you won't really know until you try them together. Be careful about not going below your amp's rated impedance, have fun and good luck.

Ric Vice and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Thanks Robgrow. Impedance is no problem as amp goes to 2 ohms and the total between cabs would be 2.67 ohms. Sensitivity I guess is the main issue. Unfortunately I can't get to hear them because I am in Western Australia and I expect that there are no Crazy 88s or Wizzy M-Lines anywhere around here. By good luck my crazy 8 sounds fantastic with my GK MB150 combo but I would love to utilize my clarus for louder gigs.

4. The MB150's internal speaker is 8 ohms, and I assume your Crazy is also 8 ohms, so both drivers draw about the same amount of power from the amp, which is good. And I think the MB150 driver's sensitivity is in the middle 90's (dB SPL), so the two speakers are probably an OK match as far as sensitivity too.

Specs only tell you so much though. Some speaker combinations that should work well together may not actually sound all that good. Truth be told, I have used some pretty odd speaker combinations quite a few times over the years, sometimes with good success. But you don't really know how they will actually sound together until you try them. Sound is highly subjective.

5. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Yep they're both 8 ohms and probably both mid 90s in sensitivity. I have an AI ten2 and I was surprised how incompatible the sound was with the crazy 8 added. The Eminence speakers in the ten2 are 90dB each so perhaps that had something to do with it.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022