Wizzy or CxL-112L with iamp 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalimus-thaden, Jun 11, 2004.

1. After doing much research, I decided to purchase an EA iamp 500 to use with my tacoma cb-10 E4 for my bluegrass band. Now I need to decide on either a wizzy cab or a cxl-112. I can get a used cxl-112 for around $450 or a new wizzy for about the same price. Which one would be the best choice?
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Wizzy is a good cab, but if you can the CXL112 for about the same money it is a much better cabinet.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have both the CxL112 and the wizzy and the iAmp 500. They are both amazing cabs. The CxL112 is capable of more overall volume and has a bolder, sweeter sound with rounder lows and glassier highs. In spite of that I am selling it. Why? Well, the wizzy is an amazing little cab. It has a thick meaty sound that works well with upright or electric bass (I do like the cxl better for upright). Good lows, sweet mids and clear highs, but not extended in the way the CXL is. And it puts out a ton of sound for its size. Portability is very important for me and I'm not competing with 100 watt guitar amps. There will be a few gigs where I need more than just the wizzy but I have another small 1x12 cab for those. For most gigs in small to meduim clubs the wizzy will do the job.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    CXL112 if for no other reason than more tonal flexibility.
  5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    anybody else compared both?
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and the borg one chimes in...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Blastoff! :D

I like both cabs, but personally prefer the Wizzy (though I am required to add my usual disclaimer that the sound of two Wizzy's is very addicting!). The Wizzy is more full sounding (though the CxL-112 does go deeper), with a bit of a midrange push, and on the whole, it's a great balance of warmth and clarity. The CxL-112 is also a great cab, and based upon personal preferences, I could see many people preferring it to the Wizzy. The CxL-112 goes both more deep and more high, but it seems a bit uneven in the mids (some scooping in the low mids, some sharper peaks in the upper mids). If you want clarity, though, it is scalpel precise. So, if you bass is a bit thick sounding, it might be the perfect ticket. I think they both sound great on upright.

I will also add that to my ears there are some slight differences between the heavier CxL-112 and the later, lighter, version, the CxL-112L (and I prefer the heavier model - more smooth through the mids, a tad more full in the lows).