Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wizzy versus Acme B1?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by macmrkt, Mar 1, 2005.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Has anyone ever compared the EA's Wizzy to an Acme B1? Thanks for any comments...

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have limited experience with bigger Acme cabs. They sound pretty good and really do make nice, tight lows, but they are such power hogs, they are not worth it IMO.

The biggest issue is efficiency. The B1 is a 90 db cab and it is rated to handle 175W RMS. The Wizzy handles 250 RMS and is a HIGHLY efficient 103 db cabinet.

In short, using the same amp, the Wizzy is going to be MUCH louder than the B1. In fact, a single 10 rated at 90 db with only 175 watts RMS wouldn't really be a great deal louder than your common variety practice amp.

Acmes are known to handle way more power than they are rated for, so if you want to push 300-400 RMS, you may have a nice little rig.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't have a B-1 (yet!), but I do own a Low B-2 and two Wizzy's. In addition to the efficiency issue (which I agree is a substantial difference), the Low B-2 is more full in the low end, but a little bit polite in the upper mids and highs, whereas the Wizzy is more full through the midrange and has more uppermidrange presence. It is slightly warm, but very articulate. The Wizzy works well with a lower powered amp, but can handle serious headroom, too. The ACME likes to have more power, but when fed properly, it is very flat and accurate, and has tight, deep low end, and very smooth highs.

Not directly on point, but hopefully somewhat helpful...