1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wma files are kicking my butt!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by neptoon, Jun 22, 2007.

1. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    here's the deal...i'm trying to import guitar and drums into my sequencer ( i think it's called? sonar 3 PE, cubase LE and adobe audition - i can't import into any of these guys)...the files are in .wma format and i can't import any of this stuff as track #1 so that i can play along with it and record bass tracks...umm, help?

:help: :help: :help:

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Audition has complete WMA support; there's no reason you shouldn't be able to import it...

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Sonar 3 has .wma support, as well, so I'm not sure what to tell you...what exactly are you clicking on, with Sonar, it should just be a matter of File-> Import Audio-> and then use the browse button to select the file.

Is it possible that somehow the .wma's bitrate isn't supported by the sound interface you're trying to use? As well, if you're trying to import audio into a Sonar project that is set at, say 20 bits, and the audio is 16 bit, it can get fussy. Check your audio settings.

Unfortunately, I've never actually come across this problem, and I'm not familiar enough with Audition or Cubase to advise. You shouldn't be having a problem doing this, though.

4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    yep, that's what i'm doing...in adobe, it told that the file i was trying to use was unsupported and told me to select .pcm file for raw data as the file type and put an asterisk in the file name...when i do that, all of the files appear, but when i import them that way, i just get white noise...the waveform is a solid green bar...you know, like channel 'U' back in the day :D i was on the phone yesterday with the band's singer and he's pretty baffled by this, too

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    As a workaround, could you maybe export the .wma files to an audio CD in Windows Media Player, then rip the CD to .wav?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Convert the wma to wav.

7. You could always do it the old fashioned way...play the files from an external source and record the sound directly into your sequencer.

Other than that you should be able to convert the wma files to wav, mp3, or sdii files (depending if you are on the pc or the mac).

8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    not sure how, but i got it to work on adobe audition...i tried several different conversion programs but i couldn't get them to work...i'm going to try to get these files to work in sonar

9. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Audacity is always there to convert to mp3

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021