Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Aug 5, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004

Crazy huh? The bass almost looks like a sketch :smug: :D
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Good luck finding strings
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Another pearl for you, not only will everything about that bass cost serious bank (11 strings, midi, etc), the cabinet setup to handle the low C will also be massive and expensive.
  4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    This bass will be reality, it is a benavente on order! :help:
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not just get a harp?
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Or a keyboard and some yarn.
  7. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    how many hands do you have? :D :D :D :D :D
  8. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    ..... this whole extended range thing is getting to be ridiculous. But hey, whatever stokes your furnace!
  9. i agree, things started to go crazy when they started making 6ers :D
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That would make the upright bassists jealous ;)
  11. i bet that things gonna be pricey. but it will be a part of history. it wil be what, the second 11 string bass ever made, if some other company doesnt build one first. even still, it will be atleast on of the first five.
  12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think it is 'a bit'...over the top, don't you think? Why the hell so many strings??? Is it because you miss something elsewhere..? :rolleyes:
  13. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Come on people, its a really well planned instrument, there are details in there that were definitly chosen after a lot of experience with this kind of basses, a thing that Al Caldwell definitly has, I wish him good luck, I've heard what he can do on a 9, and altough it sometimes steps away from "traditional role bass" (if such thing really exists), it definitly has the soul in it! :cool:

If I tried one of these I would need to relearn a few details, but remeber that fun you had when started learning bass in the first place? :D
  14. doesnt really explain why the instrument exists..kinda reminds me of the simpsons episode where homer has the crayon in his brain and when he goes to get it put back in he says "but all you do is play god, im sure your octo-parrot will agre" "squak, polly shouldnt be, squak".....11-string = octo-parrot :p
  15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Alright... I hope indeed that you're going to be very happy with it. Hopefully you've got time left to play, besides al these systems and things.

Does it have special developed binoculars included, so that you can see the first and last string sharp at the same time? :D
  16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve never played basses with more than 6 strings.
    However, I think that when you get more than, 8 strings, the standard approach to the instrument (I mean alternating 2 right hand fingers) shouldn`t be enough.

I mean, having an instrument with such a wide array of tonal options and enormous polyphonic capabilities, demand unorthodox playing techniques.

So, what`s the benefit of this instrument compared with a 10 or 12 strings Chapman Stick ?
  17. I don't get it. 11 strings. Does it really happen that one sits down with say an eight string or a nine string or a ten string even - plays the highest note and thinks to himself.....No!! I really need an extra string :eyebrow:
  18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i love the bass you have sketched, i have a fetish for erb and hope to maybe pick something up with more than 6 strings some time.

cant wait to see progress picks :hyper:
  19. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    - first of all I didn't sketched this, this was taken from thelowend.net and it is a benavente on order for bassist Al Caldwell, which is a fellow T'ber so please show some respect, putting a smiley on the post doesn't prevent it from being a pointless joke, if you have no interest in this thread, please continue your browsing.

- I wasn't trying to explain why it (will) exist, but only the unusual configuration that this bass will sport. You don't like it?More power to you, some only need alder, others can't live without Buckeye.

- again this is not mine (I wish, At least I could say that I did play one and therefore any comments, good or bad, would be justified by experience)

- In my opinion the techniques applied would not be unorthodox, but still they would of course require some adaptation, but again the motivation would be to acctually think of new ways of exploring its potencial, just like the first human did when he realised that the sound of a stretched gut was nice to his ears, and he started adding >more< of them

- I really hope not to be ultra bashed by this, but it got on my nerves, this is still Talkbass, not Jokebass :(

- A grand finale, a harp has no frets, so maybe we could make all bass players happy by making a fretted harp, but the problem is that then all the harpists would say "dude, a harp is not an 11 string bass!"
  20. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I can't figure out that playing with more than two right fingers is unorthodox. To me you've got five fingers on your right hand, so why not use them all? Perhaps it is just me, but I think it is as logical as it can be. Thus standard. Perhaps somebody cannot do/perform standard stuff regarding to that definition, but I personally think you're quite limited by only looking at your bass as an instrument which needs only two fingers. (so...the middle- and pointfinger)

Another thing... you posted this sketch and said it was crazy. It seems you're provoking a discussion (that's what a forum is about, isn't it?) about this sketch...which is a bass, what's going to be built in the near-future. Some people like it, some people don't. Let's accept that and convince the other, instead of shooting?