1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wondering about a decent, inexpensive amp for practice and maybe some small gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Apr 27, 2009.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    I am about to get a new amp. I am currently playing my ATK through a beginner ibanez amp. I was looking on musician's friend for combo amps in the price range of $150-$250 because that's all I can spend at the moment. I was thinking about the
    Acoustic B20 1x12 Bass Combo Amplifier or Behringer Ultrabass BXL900 90W 1x12" Bass Combo or Peavey MAX 110 Bass Combo. I just want something that has good tone, can get pretty loud if need be, and is overall good for my ATK. Here's a link to the combo amps in that price range on the site:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-combo-amps?N=100001+338534+8

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance...By the way, I plan to get a Zoom B2.1u Bass Effects Pedal if that helps any because I'm thinking it would boost the new amp.

2. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    I say Peavey because I have a Peavey bass and 2 Peavey speakers and they work miracles for me and plus when I went to buy my bass I tried the Peavey MAX 110 bass amp and it sounded nice. I say Peavey.

3. Thought about going second hand? More bang for your buck...

4. Check out the Nemesis N15 combo, which GC has for $250 new. It has 200 watts going into a 4 ohm 15" that has a voicecoil on it for nice mids and decent highs. It's very loud and kickbackable, the only thing you might not get are sizzling highs because it doesn't have a tweeter, but for the power, volume, and portability (only 45 lbs), it can't be beat. I have one for practice and I like it; it's overkill for a practice amp actually.

5. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I guess I will be the one to say it. For $150-200, you are pretty much looking still looking at beginner combo amps. Your best bet is to go used like mjwhit said or save up at least another $100 to expand your options. You've got a good bass, save up and get a quality amp to match.

6. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    If you are going to save an extra hundred bucks I would get a powered mixer and some speakers, I have a powered mixer 2 peavey 500 watt speakers and 2 300 watt samson speakers GREAT for gigs man just a little expensive.

-Pedro

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

7. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Would it come in handy for like a small gig?

Is it good for gigs?

I totally understand what you are saying. I guess I could spare another $50 to $100 dollars. Do you have any recommendations? I'm trying to go over $250 at the moment if I can help it. By the way, I plan to get a Zoom B2.1u Bass Effects Pedal in the near future so I think that should boost whatever I get. What do you think?

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Go second hand. It wouldn't cost a cent to have a look on ebay. You may see something going for almost nothing.

9. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    +1 on a used Peavey

For under $250 you should have your choice. Built like tanks, plenty of power and decent sound. I've had 2 old Peavey amps. They both sounded fine on their own and they both took pedals very well.

10. maggot_me

maggot_me

Mar 20, 2009
    maggot me
    For small gigs... plus it has more volume than most amps so =D

11. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    For your budget I would recommend looking for a used 15" combo, preferable 200 watts or more.

That should be enough to gig with, although if you play loud metal type music you may want something more down the road.

12. in most states the law requires pawn shops to stock at least one used peavey.....

13. Woodell

Woodell

Jan 13, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    I've been playing small gigs with a Fender Bassman 150 combo. It's still portable but can cut through drums in a small venue. $450+ new so a used one would be a better deal. It can also kick back 45 degrees and has audio input and headphone out so you can play along quietly for practice.

14. biobass

biobass

Sep 16, 2007
    Princeton NJ area
    I'd used one of these for many, many years with excellent results. As long as you don't need to be super loud (i.e. a drummer who knows how to play with finesse) it is a decent sounding combo, about 45 or so pounds. I have one with the paper cone speakers. It seemed to sound a little bit smoother to my ear than the aluminum cone speaker, nothing dramaticly different. I'm sure you could find a used one for pretty cheap.

Cheers,
    Dennis

15. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    You've said this twice - so I have to respond. I don't think you can make any amp louder by using any pedal. The amp will get as loud as it can get all by itsself, so if you max it out and then increase the input gain with some sort of boost, you'll just drive a solid state amp into clipping and it will sound like poo. I'm not familiar with the pedal you are talking about, but in general, a boost pedal gives you two different volume settings that you can toggle between by stomping on a pedal to turn boost on and off. It doesn't make a quiet amp become a loud amp.

I agree that your price point is too low to get anything big enough to gig - IF YOU ARE BUYING NEW.

Buy used - you can get something that will work great. IMHO - You need over 100 watts minimum, 200 and you can gig in most rooms with almost any drummer. I have a 250 watt TE head and I've never had the stage volume above 4.

last thought - That Eden Nemisis sounds like a great deal. I don't need a new amp, but I want to go buy it. Eden stuff is great and that amp would really fit the bill.