1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by black4string, Apr 2, 2006.

1. hi, i'm a newbie and very stupid about customizing basses.

I sanded my bass down to the wood
    It's a bass made in taiwan, branded "fernando".
    It's a copy of the Fender Jazz bass.

I don't know what type of wood they used.
    But in sanding it, the edges of the guitar didn't end up good.
    The wood became very rough like "hairy" rough.
    i don't know how to fix it.
    If i sand it more, the "hairs" would only go on one side but it is still rough.

Can anyone help me?
    Thank you

2. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    higher grit paper? lots of patience? read a lot? if you don't know that much about customising, i'd say to go read the tutorials at ProjectGuitar until you're confident.

and, of course, pictures would help us know what you're talking about. and maybe figure out what type of wood it is.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hairy wood=poplar.

Fine grit and change all the time. Any lack in sharpness will end in a hairy result, so you need to use up a lot of paper...

A really sharp scraper wold be an alternative. A better alternative, if you manage to kep it sharp.

4. Thanks for the advice.. i'm trying the fine grit sandpaper right now.
    as of experience, i've had little experience. only in my high school about woodworking.
    i know enough for me to repaint something, but it seems that i'm an idiot when it comes to woods.

thanks again for the replies

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I just started using cabinet scrapers and praise the lord!
    my new fav. tools

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Another way to go that might help you out, is to buy some spar varnish at home depot, thin it out with the reccommended thinner, usually being Naptha, or MEK etc. depends on the product. Make a 1 to 1 mix of spar varnish/urethane and work it into the edges. The wood will become more sand friendly, then sand it smooth with 400 grit paper. You can then seal the body with a urethane or Lacquer sealer, and do your finish sanding with 400-600 and 800 grit papers.