1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WOODSTOCK 1969

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Bass, Aug 15, 2012.

1. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I just wanted to give a shout-out to the 43rd anniversary of a memorable event, August 15,16,17,1969. Some of the best R&R music in the history of it IMO. I had my 25th birthday on the 3rd day of the festival. This is CSNY doing "Long Time Gone" on the 17th, over the movie's opening footage. Do yourself a favour & watch the movie people. Those days are indeed GONE.
    B.

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
  3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Don't eat the brown acid! :eek:

4. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
  5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Born about 23 years too late, but this is probably one of my favorite clips from the festival:

6. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    +1 Way to young - but seeing Santana at that early raw stage in his journey is priceless.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Few things have been that beautiful in Life.

8. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Santana was amazing! I remember something about Bill Graham who basically discovered Santana, convincing him to do Woodstock as a self promotion since he was just getting going. The rest is history. That drumming in Soul Sacrifice is a mind blower! Thanks for the Mountain clip bro.
    I picked up a couple hitchhikers shortly after the event who were there & said that Joe Cocker was killer! Joe was not known here at that time.
    B.

9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
  10. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    That's a hoot!
    It's like Neil Young not letting them film him w/ CSN. I'll never see Woodstock's "Wooden Ships" & it's a huge loss in the history of our music.
    B.

11. Damn by dad was 3 months old ha. It sounds like an epic time tho

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Richie Havens. That is all. :)

13. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I heard that his bass player & drummer got stuck in traffic & couldn't get there so Richie played with only the rhythm guitarist & congas. MAN! Talk about a groove.
    B.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was a helluva way to open a festival. His performance set the tone, IMO (& probably your's, too).

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "...seeing Santana at that early raw stage in their journey is priceless".

Fixed.
    ;)
    I sticking with they're the best American "Rock" band ever!
    ;)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have only recently seen/heard Cocker's performance...youtube + cds & the extended Woodstock DVDs...Alan Spenner was playing bass with Cocker & he was laying it down.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  18. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
  19. I'm planning on attending the 50th anniversary celebration in 2019, assuming there will be one. Anyone else plan on being there?