Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woooooooaaahhhhh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  2. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    hmmmmm very very very cool :cool:

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    man, that's time-machine good!

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Mucho Mojo! Love the mutes too hehe.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    She's a beaut, but do you really think it should fetch 11 clams?

6. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll be interested in see if it gets that kind of $$$ - cuz I own one of these too! Almost as good, condition-wise. It was made fretless back in the '70's.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I really don't need my car, I can find a roomate, Maybe I can sell my sperm, whats wrong with another mortage?? STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. That's absolutely glorious, but honestly, 11 grand? Anyone think it'll sell?

9. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    he already sold one for 13!...so i wouldnt doubt it

10. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Let me see if I have this straight. 11k for a bass that if you insure it, the insurance company will immediately forbid you from taking it to a gig, ever!!! Unless of course you are willing to spend 11k just to insure it every year. I am not making this up guys, I just checked into insuring my basses because I am getting ready to move. The insurance company told me point blank "any bass that is worth more than $1500 will not be insured if it's taken to a gig." unless of course I was willing to spend a whole lot more money. I came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to replace an ax than to insure my basses, but hey if you can afford 11k clams for this bass, you probably make more money than I do anyway! :D

11. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Sweet ... side story just ran into a guy in my calc 2 class that ... Get this ,in a town 2 hours away ... Is the son of the one time bassist to my lead singers dad... small world... but anyway he said he had his dads bass... 63 Jazz... jaw droped. In talks now of picking it up... not that I need it but still!... hopefully be a lot less then 11 grand though!:eyebrow:

12. Wow, where does that seller keep getting those? If it is legit, that's a beauty.

13. Either time machine or the blackest of magic! :p

I'd be scared to play it at home, let alone a gig if I spent 11K on it.

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I just don't get this 'old Fender' thing and wouldn't pay that much for one.

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, no offense, either you understand the "Old Fender Thing" or you don't. I've never owned anything but Fenders or their clones and Fenders just have something that other basses don't. To an extent that's true about most everything that sprang from the mind of Leo Fender. Basses (including Music Man and G&L), Stratocasters, Telecasters, etc.

I'm not trying to say that other brands don't have their own "vibe". To me nothing sounds like a Gibson 335-type guitar, for instance. Some people think Steinberger basses are the end-all/be-all. The list goes on...

Edit: Would I pay $11K for pre CBS Jazz? MAYBE if I had money to throw around but I don't. Besides that, my Lakland USA JO takes care of the "Old Fender" GAS quite nicely, thank you very much.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I understand the old Fender thing, but no one will ever convince me that 11 thousand freaking dollars for a bass produced on a production line is a fair deal.

And I'm old, and I played Fenders and I think some of the vintage basses are danged nice.

But seriously. Really. It's insane.

17. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    About the bass... it's awful sweet, but if I was a big fan of Fenders, I'd just get a Custom Shop Relic... be cheaper than the original 63 and a lot less risky to gig. :)

Anyone notice the fact that this bass has mutes AND flats? I bet it sounds like total thud. I can't imagine there being any tone at all. Definitely no sustain! Take the mutes off and throw some rounds on it and I bet it sounds pretty sweet though.

On an insurance note, I have all my gear insured on my parents' homeowner policy, including my basses, which are over $1500 each. You don't necessarily have to take out a policy specifically for an instrument. If you have a home, you can insure it on there. Just make a list of your gear and give it to your agent and have him/her add the stuff to your homeowner policy. I have everything on there... basses, guitars, amps, cabs, mics, cables, stands. Everything right down to the most meaningless miscellaneous accessories. I have around $6000 worth of stuff listed on there and it didn't increase the premium of the policy. Can't hurt to ask your agent about it. :)

Jake