Working out the Buzz

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by spark500, Aug 11, 2004.

1. spark500

May 7, 2004
    I have a 37' Kay and have had the fingerboard reworked and it came back from the luthier pretty much "flat". It notes out fine with some slight "buzz" along the strings in all the mid positions. He also repainted the fingerboard since it had practically no finish on it from years of wear. I know that the best thing to do is to take it back to another luthier which I plan to do. In the mean time...

Is it possible to work out some of the slight buzz with some extra fine sandpaper? Could the new paint / finish be causing it? Could I just lightly sand the neck even with steel wool to see if it helps? Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I'd start by asking why he painted it in the first place... Fingerboards aren't supposed to be "finished." A little dye once in a while perhaps to even out a streaky board, or perhaps a little oil, but not painted. Is it a maple board?
  3. If you are getting the buzz on all of the mid position notes, then the fingerboard does not have sufficient scoop/dip for the strings and the style of your playing. Take it back to your luther and have him redo the job. It's highly unlikely that the finish is, in itself, causing the problem and even more unlikely that sandpaper is going to significantly improve the condition. If the fingerboard is not ebony or rosewood, this might be a good time to consider replacing it.