1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

worst bandmate you've ever worked with?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ROFLMFAO, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ROFLMFAO

ROFLMFAO

Feb 15, 2012
    mine was an old friend of mine who was the self proclaimed best musician in our band. he thought he was better than both of our guitarists at guitar, me at bass, and our vocalist at singing, but he was our drummer. in truth he was a pretty good drummer, but when it came to anything else he would play variations of a d major scale and call it beautiful. he would constantly try to tell us what to play, and he would stop drumming and take one of the guitarist's guitars and preach to us on what to do. after 4 months I couldn't handle it and quit.

2. winndaddy

winndaddy

Feb 9, 2011
    I know a guy just like that. Sometimes I think he's semi retarded. He was suppose to be our singer but that wasn't enough for him, oh NO. He would try to learn songs off of youtube on guitar, ( he was 40 by the way) from kids that didn't have a clue what they were doing. He would then proceed to try and be our teacher after everyone had disected the songs piece by piece.
    He would also play air drums while singing to show the drummer how it should be done. Meanwhile the drummer ( which was a full blown pro) had all his transcribed sheets right there in front of him. It wouldn't of been that bad if he wasn't wrong every single time and then proceed to argue with everyone how he was right. Pissed me off to no end so I quit. I took the guitar player and drummer with me too. Found ourselves a much better singer who has no desire to play a instrument. The old singer still till this day trys to get me to go jam with him but I refuse to. Too much off a headache.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I had a guitarist who was a complete waste of space. He never wanted to practice we would show up at his moms house ready to practice he would sit there eat her food and complain if we didnt bring beer. The dude was 31 and completely useless. He refused to promote shows, and wondered why his friends never showed up at shows. A facebook post a half hour before the show doesnt count as promoting. Whenever something didnt go his way he would throw a fit. All he wanted to talk about was sex or video games. He proceeded to tell me a story of how he " plowed this chick right where I was sitting" I lasted 3 months in that band before I quit. I got tired of his sex stories that I thought were made up anyway. He also put my spare bass head and tech 21 sansamp outside the night I quit.

4. GladToBeBack

GladToBeBack

Mar 21, 2011
    My complaint is about the drummer to my most recent band. He had played bigger shows before and had more touring experience than any of us, so he was snobbish at the gigs we would play. He wouldn't play parties, he would wouldn't play certain venues if he didn't like the sound there, he wouldn't play other venues if he didn't like the other bands there. I understand you want to be heard in the best way possible, but we turned down more shows than we played. My opinion is you've got to start somewhere and, experienced as he may have been, we were a new band trying to establish ourselves. When it came down to recording a new EP, the one were selling at shows was already 2 years old, he flaked out. He then contacted the lead singer, told him he's not into it anymore and left it up to him to break the news to the rest of us.

Another band I was in the lead guitarist was a decent player but wouldn't ever focus on practicing the songs. EVERY practice he would just mess around or try and write new stuff, he had no interest in rehearsing the setlist. I found it particularly awkward because this guitarist is my younger brother. When I left the band it was hard for me to tell him. But we're good now, I just know not to mix bands and family anymore. :D

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Trumpet/keys player who once cancelled a gig because it was snowing.

She also told me once that 'Everybody makes mistakes, I won't be made to feel bad for making a mistake'. I said 'Not everybody makes the same mistakes for a year'.

To be honest though she was nothing compared to some of the tenor sax players I've worked with. One was so angry that we refused to pay his speeding ticket that he ripped the lid off an ice machine and beat the DJ's bike to death with it.

6. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    My first guitarist. He would dress like Slash and constantly stare at himself in the mirror, making "Guitar God" facial gestures. He'd play over the top, loud, annoying solos if he got bored halfway through a song. Our band had been practicing for about 5 months, about 3 times a week. We were starting to sound like a good band, and out of no where he decided he wanted to become the singer and guitarist, he'd play every instrument when it came to recording, and we'd where matching outfits. Needless to say, we kicked him out.But in all honesty, he is probably the most talented guitarist I have ever worked with, but very self centered.

7. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Most guitarists with talent are like that. full of themselves whether it is earned or not.

8. ROFLMFAO

ROFLMFAO

Feb 15, 2012
    that's too funny.

9. We just fired a keyboard player from our blues band who was constantly late to shows and rehearsals. He also had a bad tendency between songs of 'hunting' for a setting on his keyboard and would also break out into random dramatic keyboard riffs (think the intro to Mr. Crowley......at a blues show), and that would waste about 2 minutes between nearly every song. The straw that broke the camel's back was we had a Tuesday rehearsal about a month ago that he was no-call, no-show for and didn't return our messages, then comes showtime Friday night, no sign of him, so we get up as a trio and start at 9:30p.......he shows up at 9:45p, and EXPECTS us to stop playing so he can set up his stuff. We tell him to wait and played straight to 11pm before taking out first break. He then feeds us a line of BS like "well, I just got a new phone and I can't figure out how to pull up my contacts" followed by "well, our storage unit was broken into by some guys with sledgehammers and we were talking to the police and couldn't leave!". Turns out this wasn't the first time he used that excuse. I talked with the bass player from another band he also recently got fired from and he told me he used that story on them too.

10. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    American
    Was in a female led Pop and Jazz Standards group.
    Core group was myself, percussionist and the Female on Vocals and keys.
    She had a small following and was respected among the local musicians.
    Every gig had some sort of guest musicians; horns, guitars, mandolins, flutes, violin and even ukelele, you name it.
    One gig she has a guitarist guest and the guy was utterly amazing.
    He could play anything in any genre in any key, flawlessly.
    The guy could take a simple or hokie song and turn it into magic.
    His guitar work on slow songs would practically bring you to tears.
    Impressed, the Female asks him to join the core...he agrees.
    We have a rehearsal for upcoming big gig.
    First 1/2 hour goes well then he takes over and starts running the practice like a dictator. RED FLAG
    No big deal I figure, he's got chops. In no time short he starts arguing with female about a chord.
    I forget what the name was but, IMHO, they were both right.
    They were both playing exactly the same thing just debating the correct name.
    Didn't matter, he was right, damn-it and we should know it.
    We do the big gig and guitarist gets perturbed because guest violinist steals a bit of the spotlight,
    which she deserved due to incredible playing. RED FLAG
    Guitarist in anger then turns his back to the audience and us for the rest of the evening, plays minimally except
    during violin solos which he steps all over loudly. RED FLAG
    Next gig is in a week and it is a huge annual event. This is the event Female was working up to
    and a lot of the songs are based around this guitarists work and skill. She let's him know there will be no violin.
    Gig day, I'm a little nervous. All my peers will be there as well as the local press.
    Loaded car with gear and went to pick up Female. At her place she says guitarist just emailed her
    to say He is quitting and won't be able to do this or anymore gigs with us. Says he can't work with ignorant musicians.
    RED FLAG is now tattered and blowing in the wind.
    Too late to call the violinist. We will just have to perform with keys and bass.
    We are setting up on stage and the Guitarist walks in, just looks at us, doesn't say a word but takes a seat in the back and stays for most of the gig. I don't know whether he was hoping to see us fail, hoping we'd grovel and beg or he was just clueless.
    It was not our best performance but it was acceptable and we had less members to split the evenings pay with.
    Last I heard, he was playing guitar at a nursing home and in charge of activities.
    Too bad great musical skills don't carry over to social skills, he'd be rich and famous.

11. TBrett

TBrett

Nov 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Back when our bassist and I were trying to form our original rock band, we briefly worked with a guitarist who had a degree in music and played in several regularly gigging cover bands. He could play just about anything, transpose on the spot if required, was a pretty decent songwriter and good back up singer to boot. He was cocky, but because he could deliver the goods, we figured we could handle him. After a successful audition and several detailed conversations, we set up weekly writing sessions with him. He failed to show up for the first one. He responded to our concerned phone messages with a long story about some personal situation he was undergoing. Our alarm bells were ringing, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt. For the next few weeks, all was well. But I noticed that every time we got together, he would more or less ignore my input and speak mainly to our bassist. I'm a chick singer and lyricist, and I couldn't help feeling like he didn't take me seriously because of my gender, despite his praise for my lyrical abilities. But I let that ride for the time being. Then he arranged an audition for us with a drummer he knew. The bassist, drummer and I all arrived on time for the audition. The guitarist was an hour and a half late. He was coming from way out in the suburbs by public transit and it just took forever, don't cha know. This despite him having called me three hours earlier to say he was on his way. (No way it took three hours to get there.) We did manage to have the audition, which went very well, but the drummer was clearly not impressed with the guitarist's arrival time and chose not to work with us. Can't say I blame him. Then the guitarist failed to show for the next writing session. I was done. Moving on. Thankfully, we hooked up with our current guitarist a few months later, who is a very professional, organized, dedicated soul and the band has progressed nicely since then.

Some time after that last no-show, the former guitarist got in touch with our bass player and apologized for having to bail on us. Again, some personal situation had cropped up that required him to leave town on short notice. He never bothered to contact me to apologize, even though I was the main point of contact for the band and the one who did all the scheduling. A year or so later, our bassist was involved with a side project that was looking for a guitarist and had posted ads to that effect. Guess who responded? Yup, our old "friend." Our bassist figured there was no harm in giving him a shot. I was annoyed to hear he was giving the guy an audition, but of course, it wasn't my band. If they ended up working together, well, I realized I was just going to have to suck it up. Turns out that despite all his experience and ability, the guitarist blew the audition. That band had produced an EP a few years before. Instead of playing their material as per the recordings, the guitarist decided to show off and "experiment," only his choices were not appropriate for the songs and did not go over well with the founding members of the band. Bizarre. :rollno:

Edit: I saw the guy the other night (over two years later). He breezed past me as I was on my way into a store, griping to someone on his cell phone about his boss. Same kind of griping we used to hear from him when we knew him. Some things never change, I guess. He didn't recognize me and I didn't bother to stop him.

12. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Originals band recording debut CD and the singer decides he wants the insert to be an 8-page booklet with all his lyrics. Whatever. I designed the sleeve with the lyrics.

Right before it's time to send for printing, he says he has no money to invest in the completion of CD production. Now I know that should have meant the end of the 8-page booklet, but suggest I'll cover his share with the understanding that once we start selling CDs, I'll get his cut until we're even (this was back in 2005 when a few people still bought CDs although it was starting to decline). The two other band members paid up their 25% share, so I was in for 50% of costs.

Two weeks later, he has a brand new Gibson SG. Not an Epiphone even. A Gibson. He had the money for that.

Then we get the CD with the beautiful 8 page booklet displaying his lyrics, that he didn't pay a cent for. I give him 200 CDs to sell and we're clear that I get the money made on sales until we're even on the production costs. A little while later I ask how many CDs he has left. He has none left. Where's the money from the sales? Well, apparently he thought it was more important to promote the band and just give the CDs away ... to workmates, family, anyone he met basically ... but no one in the music industry that could actually help us. Either that, or he just pocketed the money (which actually makes more sense).

Either way, I learned a valuable lesson ... but it's unfortunate when some band members are willing to bend backwards to make something work and others are just as determined to ruin what should be a good thing. Our debut CD was also our last.

13. Our rhythm player is a tough nut to crack. Where to begin....

Our lead player is a pretty cool guy. A little "in his own world", but a fun person with some really good skills. He does most of the singing. I like him an awful lot. Our drummer is a closet alcoholic, but he brings it consistently no matter whether he's drinking or not. He tends to hold off on the sauce until we're done. I'm okay with that. I also get along with the drummer really well, we've known each other for years. I play bass and handle the technical duties; I work with the PA system and set up all the equipment and decide who will stand where, I put together all of our music sheets, and I typically set up the order of our sets. I'm also the "signal man" for everyone....when we get off on something, like solos or improvs, it's my job to let everyone know when it gets "reeled in" and we need to end a song.

The lead player and myself have little to no pro experience. The drummer was a studio guy years ago and worked with a band that cut a few albums, he's really good, but looking for a low key cover band that does small clubs now and concentrates on the "fun factor".

Then there is our rhythm player. Plenty of pro experience, no albums or studio, but many years of getting "paid to play". But a strange personality. He sings quite a few songs, too. Really talented guy, tons of experience and input, but he can be SOOOO hard to deal with.

1. He is always trying to control the setlist. And his music selection sucks. He is still stuck in some form of time-lock and thinks it's still 1985. He's constantly pushing for songs that the rest of us hate because he likes them. He swears that people still come out for these antiquated tunes.

2. He's a "brat". When we are practicing, if the song isn't going the way he wants, he just "drops out" and stands there with a pouty look on his face. He'll pull out a tune that none of us have played before and not understand why we can't just play along with him.

3. He's overly critical of my basslines. Once I learn a song, he'll keep telling me "do this....do this....no, you're not doing it right". My basslines are good.....and everyone else likes them, but he's not happy. If he had his way, I'd be playing only roots all of the time.

4. He keeps telling us that we're not good enough for his standards. He always says....."This band has a long way to go...."

5. He has some kind of grudge against the lead player. He insists that the lead player is jealous of his ability, but I just don't see it. Our lead player is so happy we have a rhythm guy. He stated, to me, that he's not going to invest any effort into working with the lead player because he thinks that the lead player is egocentric and unworkable. Not to mention he stated the that lead player is, in his opinion, not that good and a "fudge artist".

6. He told me that if we have a performance and he doesn't feel that we can perform to his expectations, he's not doing it. His statement was "I'm not going to embarrass myself if it's not where it should be. I'm not doing that."

7. He creates tension and sucks the fun out of what we are doing. This band was put together as a "fun band" with the intention of doing small gigs, open mic's, free shows, and seeing where things will go.....we all walked in with the idea that we would put something together that we would enjoy and have fun with. We picked easy, fun songs that we all liked. We leaned heavily on blues music and blues improvs. But somehow the rhythm guy is trying to convert us to some strange reincarnation of an 80's bar band. "Abracadabra"? Really?

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    One band I was in was pretty anti-drummer (I'm the drummer). Any tempo fluctuations were automatically my fault, and while sometimes they were, they refused to acknowledge when someone else sped up or slowed down even when it was glaringly obvious. Our bass player especially was prone to rushing, all while stomping loudly which threw everyone off.

Also if they had my way I would have been behind an e-kit with the volume on 1. I'm a drummer who can play quietly with sticks and if not then that's why I have an assortment of brushes and bundle rods, but they still wanted that control and didn't care that the e-kit completely killed my use of dynamics and subtlety and made the music sound "fake".

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am probably one of the worst. I was using psychedelics heavily at one time.

16. Auditioned a guitarist once who had a 7 string ibanez and only knew Korn songs. That sucked.

17. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I would love to respond to this but am afraid of the consequences............LOL

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Probably it is me. I am bossy and sometimes anal about what I expect to hear from my band.

I know, who'da thunk it.

19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    The worst bandmate I've ever played with was a drummer that could not keep time. I should have known better... the guy had something like a 13 piece set... typical for drummers that have little talent...

20. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

compensating for something maybe?:meh: