Would an Equaliser help ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 9, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    I run my bass straight to a KORG AX10 B , but the difference in treble sound between the A and D strings is immense. Its not the KORG, ( it has treble and bass controls ). The jump in treble is just too great. Playing the E and A strings whether open or fretted, has just the right tone, but moving to the D and G and the difference in sound jumps to a really bright twang. Adjusting the treble on the KORG affects the E and A strings as well, so this doesnt work too well.

Would some kind of equaliser sort this difference out before going on to another pedal ? If so, any recommendations ?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nope. Any EQ you use will affect ALL of the strings, so trying to remedy the "bright" strings in this manner will also serve to dull the "good" strings at the same time.

I recommend that you change to a new, quality set of strings and see if that remedies your problem. Other than that, perhaps a professional setup and adjustment of your bass may be in order, or possibly new pickups.

One thing at a time, try new strings.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Depending on the bass, tweaking the bridge can help.
    I've had great success once balancing a Pbass copy mixing steel and brass saddles.
  4. As Eric said, anything you plug into will affect all strings the same way.

What is the pickup configuration on your bass? What kind of bridge and saddle do you have? You might find that even a slight adjustment to balance the string height off the pickups will help even out the tone.

On the chance that your instrument is idiosyncratic in the tones, you could combine lighter gauge E and A strings with heavier gauge D and G strings. I used to do that on a Rickenbacker to put more mids in the tone overall.

Good luck! -Pete
  5. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    Thanks people. I was describing my 81 Aria Pro 2 Fretless SB600. I have STATUS HOTWIRES black flatwounds fitted, not really what you'd associate with a twangy trebly D and G strings. Maybe the gauges are not suiting the guitar, as advised above. Heres a pic of the bridge, the original one - photo taken before the flatwounds were fitted. The Black flatwounds are 105 / 85 / 65 / 45. Perhaps a 75 and 65 might do the trick for the D and G. Though i guess it would mean having to go up on the E and A which is a shame as i'm comfortable with the sizes of 105 / 85 for the E and A.

Pickup config is passive soapbar twin coil, with what is sometimes called a coil tap, but one site devoted to ARIAS calls this a Phase SWitch and says its not really a coil tap

Perhaps going back to roundwounds might even the string tone out more equally. I'm not keen though as its currently on sale on Ebay.

6. Is simply playing the same bass line higher up the neck on the lower strings an option?

I know it's not the ideal solution for you necessarily, but I had this same problem last time I was in the studio and rectified it by doing that. Made me do some horrific position changes, but the end result was that it sounded good - bassy and ballsy compared to weak and twangy like it was when played in open positions.
  7. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    Thats a good point dude, but its masking something i want to sort out. I'd rather play where i want to, rather than let this problem dictate i play somewhere else on the fretboard.
    I will try my STATUS fretted first and see if that has the same problem - i'll get back to yez !!
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Adjust the pickups. Fiddle around and see what difference bringing them closer makes, and then farther. See where you get. You can tilt them towards the treble side without affecting the E and A too much.
  9. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    I'll try all advice - thanks :)