Would Avatar be better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I am running a Workingmans 4004 through the workingmans 4x10(8 ohms). It is my first rig and I already find it underpowered. I am 15 and making 180 a week, so I dont have a limitless budget. I am thinking of either buying

The Workingmans 1x15 to go under the 4x10
    The Avatar B410 Pro after selling this 4x10(4 ohms)
    Any suggestions of yours would be appreciated.

Which do you think would be a better/louder setup? I think down the road, I will have more options with the avatar as well, as I will need more power soon anyway.My guitarist is going to be buying some bigass mesa amp soon and I am extremely frightened....

I have done plenty of searches, im on the boards looking for info all the time, but this is my specific question as to what I should do.

2. If it were me, I'd get another Workingman's 4x10. You'll get another 140 watts out of the amp, double the speaker area and the matching cabs will pull together perfectly. It should make for a pretty loud rig.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I can tell you first hand that the Workingman's cabs are junk compared to Avatars....
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    In some situations, I use an Avatar 2x10 pro with a Workingman's 1x15 and they have very good compatibility. I actually think the Avatar sounds better with my SWR cab than my Mesa Boogie cab.

What do you mean by underpowered? What type of music are you playing? What types of setups are the other musicians using? Part of it might just be an EQ issue and that isnt why you are cutting through.
  5. illidian

Jul 2, 2004

~300 watts and a 4x10 should be fine for most practices. If not, get some ear plugs and/or learn to turn down.

I wouldn't imagine the Avatars being much better than the Workingman's cabinets, but Quadzilla tells me I'm wrong so stick with his opinion.
  6. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    If you're playing chugga chugga hardcore, try dialing up the mids and easing up on the low end. Most guitarists in modern hardcore have so much bottom end that the only way to cut through and be heard is to focus on the frequencies that they cut out completely.....the midrange. I was in a band like that before and that worked pretty well.

Your amp has enough juice..go ahead with another 4x10. Daisy chained together they will produce PLENTY of volume. Good luck and wear your earplugs all the time! :bassist:
  7. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    can't agree more