1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this put you off as a buyer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9c1ny, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So I was looking at a bass on Reverb and a large volume seller has a bass I like priced at $2700, the bass is within a fair price range for what it is although on the high end, one of the downsides for me is it has a non original damaged case. The sellers price is firm, no " make offer" feature

The same seller has another bass of the same make, model and vintage with a nice original case but the color and condition of the bass is less desirable so its priced at $1800

* I had mistakenly suggested he has hundreds of guitars listed, most of his inventory are pedals, he has 18 guitars listed in total*

I had emailed him and said I would be interested in purchasing your $2700 bass if you would swap out the case with the case from the other listing.

He replied with one sentence that he " wouldn't be willing to do that "

Me personally, to make a sale, I would be happy to, in my opinion the condition of the case really has no bearing on value of the instrument it's more the fact I already have several basses with worn broken cases.

The demeanor of the reply makes me want to take an antacid for my G.A.S and move along

Am I unreasonable?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    you are unreasonable to expect someone else would do what you want them to. you asked; he replied. move along. take antacid if you feel the need. (consider this: if you do buy the bass, you will always associate [it] with the feeling you have right now.)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Umm... If I 300+ instruments listed, each carefully and meticulously inventoried, and someone wants to buy bass 283 but with the case from bass 12, I'd say no, too.

It's one thing when you have a dozen or so to mix and match, but a warehouse full is a different story.

He didn't have to be rude, tho.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The seller did not include the 'make an offer' option. Regardless you made an offer, predicated on the seller including a better case at the same price.

He said 'wouldn't be willing to do that'. How is that rude?

Where's the problem?

5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    You said “in my opinion the condition of the case has no bearing on the value of the instrument”
    But then also aren’t happy with getting a damaged non original case?

Your offer gives you the desirable bass and the desirable case for the same amount of money that would have gotten the less desirable case. Now instead the seller would be left with what you describe as “a less desirable bass” that also has a less desirable case. If the seller believes they can get $2500 with the non-original case from someone for the desirable instrument, why would they take value from another item just for you to buy it instead?

The goal isn’t to “make a sale”, the goal is to make the most profit you can in the fewest number of transactions or with the least amount of effort possible.

Sands, bozric, Marlon Carbone and 5 others like this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Buy both basses, swap the cases and sell the one you don’t want. Then get over the idea that everyone owes you something.

7. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I guess we just have different business practices, as I said I personally have no problem improvising to make a deal, I also welcome offers.

I guess I have a soured opinion of the seller to begin with as he is one of the dealers that set everything at 100-120% of fair market value and then they sit for months or years

Ironically he made me an offer once of 50% my asking price on a reasonably priced instrument

bobyoung53, Sands, Tekkers and 6 others like this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Another thought: rudimentary HSCs are available for around 50 dollars/euros/pounds, shipped to your door. While not indicated for heavy road use, they're perfectly fine for storage and local gigging.

I see decent used HSCs in the want ads for cheap, too.

Just a thought.

Aqualung60 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. Yummy Notes

Yummy Notes

Dec 20, 2019
    It is very easy to misread the “tone” of a text response. I would not assume rudeness. If I were you, I would not make the purchase though because the case does have a value to you. Yodedude2 has a point, the deal is forever tainted for you.

10. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    one of my main concerns is it's a cheap press board case and the wood is broken through to the inside of the case.
    While I'd like to assume the seller knows how to package properly I've learned that's often an incorrect assumption.
    It's a rare finish 70's instrument in excellent condition and I'd really rather not see it arrive damaged and have to deal with that especially in these changing times

teh-slb likes this.
  11. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    anyone want their $2700 vintage bass shipped in this versus a clean vintage G&G case?

Attached Files:

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The seller can make any condition they want. It is nether reasonable nor. unreasonable. There was nomake an offer option, you madean offer. If you don't love me it,, don't buy it.

Ukko, Elusive1, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  13. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It was worth a try on your part, he said no, that's fine and he's into the long game obviously so not super anxious to sell. All sounds reasonable to me.

Sands, bozric, Marlon Carbone and 3 others like this.
  14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I wonder why the guy stopped taking offers

Sands, Bassdirty, Herrick and 8 others like this.
  15. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    I'd want the nicer case also. If you are not in a hurry, wait a bit to see if he adjusts the price. Otherwise, find another elsewhere if you can.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    Not unreasonable on ur part, if he wanted to make the deal happen he would accommodate, he must plan on getting plenty of interest in it to not bother

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. I bought 2 Gibson Firebird guitars, both a reverse and a non reverse years ago when Mars Music liquidated. They had 3 reverse in different colors. The sales rep said let’s pick out the best case for whichever one you want. Too bad they’ve closed. My kind of sales rep.

18. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I knew there was more to the story. You were offended because you thought he tried to low ball you. I don’t get this, if you don’t like an offer, just move on. Then get over thinking everyone owes you something. Wait, I think I heard that somewhere before.

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Offer him an extra $50 with the better case to make you both happy?

Auspuff, vid1900 and jd56hawk like this.
  20. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    no that's not it, I don't want a vintage bass shipped in a broken case during a pandemic if I can help it, the fact I remembered I have some history with him doesn't help my F it attitude

DJ Bebop likes this.