would this rig work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freeslicefattyj, Jun 15, 2005.

1. I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade from the svt 3 and a sonic 610 that I have now. Both are rated right around 550 watts so they work well together. However, I just don't feel that this rig is providing adequate rockage. I'm looking to upgrade and brainstorming possibilities. I know that I want a head that's at least 600 watts, unless it's tubed, then 2 or 300 would be fine. The cab is around 115 or so pounds which is okay but I don't want to get much heavier than that on a single cabinet. I'm thinking about getting an eden wt-800, I used one of those in the studio and thought it sounded great. If I were to get that, would buying an aggie gs412 make any sense? I don't know how the rig would sound but I've convinced myself that I really like those cabs, they're lighter than an 810 which is good, and I've heard real good things about the sound and volume they can make. I know I like the Eden head. Would the two work together, and if not are there any other recommendations for possible combinations?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the combo would probably sound good. however, i'm not sure what the inmpedance of the 4x12 is. i hear that the new eden 800 amps will bridge into 4 ohms, but i know they would only bridge into 8 before. if the 4x12 is an 8 ohm cab you're fine with any wt-800, but if it's a 4 ohm cab you need an 800 that can bridge into 4 ohms or els you will only be able to use one side of the amp which will give you 400 watts.

the other option is to get two 4 ohm 2x12 cabs and an 800 which would give you 400 + 400 stereo
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I say go for some tubes. Mesa 400+, Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman Pro 300, SVT-II or origional SVT, or even a new SVT-CL or 2-Pro would be fine, but I like the II and origional better for sound. Those are some awesome rock amps. The Eden VT-300 would be awesome too but they are kinda hard to find... I am also looking into buying the Aggie 412, but you should also look at the Bergie 610 or 215. Those are all great rock cabs. If you want to save weight and go for a Hybrid, the Eden is just about as good as they get. But you could also go for a rack with a good power amp (QSC, Crown, Stuart, Crown) with your choice of a preamp.