1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would this work?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by remcult, Apr 25, 2020.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm thinking of building a bigger board, and saw that Cioks is releasing a model called Cioks 8 Expander, which can be used in conjunction with another power supply or on its own (CIOKS 8 – CIOKS). They recommend their own DC7, but I was wondering if someone with more technical know-how could answer for me: would I be able to power it off my current power supply, a Truetone CS6? I would, in theory, use a voltage doubler (Voltage Doubler Cable) to supply the appropriate 24V current.

Cheers!

2. What?

Sorry, not familiar with the CS6, but...
    What has the voltage doubler cable got to do with mixing and matching the PSUs themselves?

3. Well the CS6 manual states:
    "The 1 SPOT Pro CS6 can be used anywhere in the world without the use of a step-up or step-down transformer. It transforms wall voltage from 100-240Vac, and converts it into the stated voltages on the bottom panel of the unit."

I saw that mentioned a few times, "...stated voltages on the bottom panel of the unit."

Alas, I've yet to find a picture of the CS6's bottom panel, mind... I'm just getting started.

The input of the CS6 is an IEC Standard cable...

Ahh I see now. You'll be powering the DC8 with the CS6, no? I had it in my head powering would be the other way around, the Cioks8 feeding the CS6.

From the Cioks Website:
    "...use CIOKS 8 as a stand-alone power supply, you can power it with an adapter putting out anything from 9V to 24V DC or 9V to 12V AC."

BACK to the CS6 manual, it says to consider the following:
    "1. What is the voltage required by the pedal?
    2. Does the pedal require AC or DC voltage? (Hint: battery = DC)
    3. What is the polarity of the pedal? (Center pin positive or negative.)
    "

So the CS6 will see the Cioks8 as another pedal.

I guess whether it can be done or not, boils down to amperage. If you've got digital pedals in the Cioks drawing a lot of current, then that's maybe too much for the CS6 to dish out.

I need some more power, too, so I need to figure this out but I'll have to come back to it later...

DirtyDuke and remcult like this.
  4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    This won't be an exact answer, but more to consider with the setup. Your idea with the voltage doubler should work in some capacity, given you're using a 12V output on the CS6. I would contact Cioks about amperage requirement to get the full power out of each of its 8 outputs. Then consider your overall power needs if that 24V/X mA (needed by the Cioks 8) is a significant chunk of what the CS6 can put out. i.e. Are you really gaining a ton by powering one from the other, or would you be better off space/cost wise just upgrading to a single PS with more outputs?

Also worth considering - though I don't have the email response from OneSpot any longer. The current output numbers listed on the CS6 are not actual limits for each output. They are actually higher than rated/listed on there, and the key is to not exceed the sum of the listed total for the entire supply. So a 12V/200mA output on the CS6 will put out more amperage, but the total output of the CS6 can't exceed 1600 mA.

My big questions for your idea are:
    1. What does the Cioks 8 require - 24V and how much current - for full output from all 8 outlets?
    2. How much is the amperage of the CS6 output reduced when you bump the voltage up on one or more of the switchable outputs?
    3. How does the voltage doubling cable effect the 2nd question? (i.e. If the 9V/200mA output is closer to 160mA at 12V, does the voltage doubler cable reduce that current even more?)
    I would bet both companies could at least give you a good idea on the answers if you email them.

remcult likes this.
  5. Kendescending

Kendescending

Feb 27, 2020
    Milwaukee
    Looking at the Cooks 8, they don't say the minimum current requirement for the 24V input. I don't know if I'd trust using the voltage doubler to power the Cooks 8. Might be better off just buying a larger PSU.

remcult likes this.
  6. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Really solid points to consider, thanks!

7. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    The Voltage Doubler cable will cut the current in half, in order to double the voltage.

If your output is starting at 12v/160ma, after the Voltage Doubler does it’s thing, it will be 24v/80ma.

8. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    So from what I understand from your post and the one's above, my idea won't work/doesn't make sense. Good to know!

9. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Depends on how many ma are required at 24v to power the Cioks 4 or 8.

Looks like the DC7 Aux port supplies 24v and 2000 ma, so I’d guess 80ma probably won’t be enough to do much with.

Also, I don’t think the Cioks 8 is actually out yet. I’ve seen the Cioks 4 available for sale, but haven’t been able to track down a Cioks 8 available fit purchase yet.

10. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    the Cioks 8 is out in Europe but the rollout in North America been delayed a bit by everything going on atm with COVID-19. Cioks suggested American customers reach out to their distributor, I'm just waiting for a reply

gh0st42 likes this.
  11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got this cheap little Sonicake Power Supply 5–a highly inspired name—that is essentially like the Strymon Ojai: 24v input with a wall wart, five 9v outputs of differing mA ratings, and a 24v through so you can run another of the same PSU off of it. I made a $35 offer on Reverb and they accepted.

I’m going to use it on its own for a while, make sure it’s really actually isolated. If it holds up, I’m gonna get a second, put them both on my big board, and move my Truetone CS6 to my guitar Nano where I need other-than-9v outputs.

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Cioks DC7 has a separate high-power (2000mA) aux 24V outlet specifically designed for powering an additional power supply. Powering a supply with your TruTone would eat up much of the existing mA and spread it into the Cioks, so unless you are using mostly low-amperage analog pedals you may be pushing the power capacity of the TruTone. It should work though if you just need more isolated outputs using the existing power capacity of the TruTone- I believe you only need to use a single 9V output though based on my understanding of the way it works (and as mentioned above, running the outputs at higher voltages outputs lower amperage). In my opinion it would make more sense to power the Cioks with a One-Spot or similar small-profile supply to take full advantage of that extra amperage.

13. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Interested to hear your review of the overall quality. I hate to be the pessimist, but I'm always hesitant with dirt cheap power supplies that claim quality & isolated outputs. And, to be fair, it being quiet with your setup just means it works with your setup in the short term. I've seen too many budget supplies on amazon, aliexpress, etc. that claim isolation and completely fail that claim when tested with the proper equipment...

ETA: I found a post on a guitar forum from someone who said they tested it and they were actually isolated. So...if that's accurate, nice find! I'm curious about the actual dimensions of the supply. Can't seem to find specifics.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    TheEmptyCell likes this.
  14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Trust me, I’m also skeptical.

The PSU itself is around 1x2x3 inches, fits under a PT Nano with Dual Lock and has tons of clearance to the floor with the stock feet on the board.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021