1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

would you rather...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamestown94west, May 28, 2012.

1. lets say you have a real nice player grade jazz bass, with lots of nice parts on it. its your go to workhorse.

you also have a custom p bass, a custom fretless p bass, and a squier cv 50s p.

youd like to start collecting parts for a new build, and youve actually decided on two basses.

which one would you pick to start with?

one would be a p bass, strategically covered in stickers, decals, random stuff, etc, in honor of a guitar i had in high school. itll have a p/j pickup set up, passive, completely covered in stickers in the body and pick guard. id like to use a squier cv neck.

the other bass would be a jazzmaster body, pink paint job, black pickguard, all black hard ware, maple/maple neck, with two MM humbuckers, and probably a MM 3 band eq, mounted on a jazz style control plate.

im having a hard time deciding which way to go. the sticker bass will be considerably cheaper to build, which is appealing at the moment, but its also pretty similar to the other 4 basses i alread have.

heres a rendering Ric5 did for me

attachment.jpg

2. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    do the Jazzmaster/jaguar style bass, pretty different from what you've got.

If it was me though, I'd do chrome hardware because a ton of chrome is one of the trademarks of Jaguar guitars and basses

3. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    The rendered one in the picture looks like it would be a lot more unique in both form and tone. I say that's the one. It looks like it would be worth it.

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I'd definitely go for the one nobody else has..like a Pink Jag w/double 'buckers :)

5. I'm somewhat intimidated by the cost of a decent aftermarket neck. The jag body is a little expensive too. I believe they're about $170 for a bare bones warmoth. I'm trying to start saving now, hopefully by this time next year ill be assembling a new bass.

I agree that the jag would be cool and different. I tend to get overwhelmed sometimes with my builds.

6. Wait, where does the fretless come in?

7. The fretless was one of my holy grail basses, just by chance one was offered to me in trade a few months ago. Its a '78 fender with an original maple fretless neck. The finish was stripped, none of the electronics were original, nor the pick guard. I had it refinished, and I put a few of my own touches on it. Unfortunately there's not much room for a fretless in the band I'm in, so it sits a lot. I'm actually getting ready to use it as a wall decoration in my baby boys room. I play it as much as I can, ill never sell it, I wish I had more use for it right now.