Would you snatch this 5 string Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xring, Jun 19, 2005.

1. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Local GC has mint or near mint 5 string MIM Jazz in a beautiful burgundy color. I was short on time but plugged it in real quick. Sounded OK - typical Fender tone. I didn't expect it to sizzle like my Rebop. I did check for dead spots - none found. -0- fret wear, Schaller tuners. Anyway, the neck has quite a bow and needs to be tweeked. The action was pretty high. String buzz on many frets. The ser# has the same 2 letter prefix as a new 4 stringer on the wall, so I assume it's of recent vintage.
    Bottom line: marked $279. I'm sure I can get that down some. I really don't need this bass, even as a back up, but it sure is pretty. Maybe new p/u and bridge?? I know it's my decision, but what would you do? Thanks, Randy
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For $279, I'd buy it!!!!! That's one of my favorite Fender colors.

Make sure it's not a final sale of have then adjust the neck. It might be $279 for that reason. But IME, GC likes to blow items out for no reason.
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    GC adjust a neck? Good luck with that! :) I did go there today to pick up a metronome and tried a few of the in-stock basses. The setups on these were surprisingly reasonable.
  4. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I'd rather do the set up myself to be honest. I'll have to check this one very closely. It seems as if it just came out of the box, even though it is used. There must be a reason it was traded / sold. The neck bow reminds me of the bottom of a boat! Maybe the action was not to someone's liking. ;)
  5. i would get it, especially if you can talk them down. play the whole bowed neck/used bass card. regardless, even if you don't like it, i'm sure you could sell if for the same price to some hack on ebay.
  6. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, I played the bowed neck idea, but the salesman promply straightened the neck. Action much better, no fret buzz, and I still can probably lower the bridge. Played it next to a MM SUB 5 and much preferred the tone of the fender. I was told I could have it for 250. I played for maybe 30 minutes and could not figure out why it was uncomfortable. Then I realized how curved the fretboad is (side to side) and had to concede that I just prefer a flatter fretboard. Too bad as it sounded great and the price was right. Any "flatter" Fenders out there??
    Randy :meh:
  7. that sucks... could have been a good deal
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    A good deal if the neck just needs adjusted. NOT a good deal if the neck is fooed.