1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wrist and Hand Health

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BlueAliceOasis, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I know there's a stick about this, but this is about me specifically. For a good month or two now, I've noticed discomfort in my wrist when I type and in both my wrist and index finger when I write for long periods of time. Trying to find a way to hold my phone is becoming a task too. I try not to bend them too much, so idk what's going on.

How should I fix the form of my writing and typing and how should I hold my phone to prevent any serious injury? What exactly is going on with my hand?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Can you post a "selfie" of your hand playing the bass? Otherwise we are just guessing at the problem. Also, are you talking about your left hand or your right hand? ;)

3. Right.

I haven't really started playing bass as of yet, but when I do pick it up to play, my right hand feels fine, so I don't think technique is the issue. I avoid bending them too much there too.

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Practicing bass with proper technique will exercise and relax your right hand, making a blissful dream out of everyday activities like writing, typing, and answering the phone! :)

My other general-purpose, non-bass-related advice includes: take breaks, don't overdo it, stay hydrated, stretching/yoga, etc.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  5. Also have you ever injured your hand? I've had broken bones and surgery's etc on my hands and I still play. Not sure if I could do 3 sets in one night anymore it's been a long time. Plus my hands and fingers hurt and ache I just kind of go with it, I'm not getting any younger. Some of the advice Mushroo gives above is great advice plus I would add a curcumin supplement for infllamation, and possibly Aleve as needed, but no constantly. Can get a bit tough on your belly! And maybe see an orthopedic Dr if it get's too bad.

6. Nope, injury free.

7. If you type a lot or any repetitive motions you may have the beginnings of carpal tunnel injury.
    There are exercises you can find on youtube to help with that. Try them and see if you have any
    improvement. I had the surgery as well as ulnar tunnel surgery about 15 years ago and all is good
    now. Try to avoid the surgery if you can however if that turns out to be the issue!

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    All the more reason to have it checked out by a professional. Any replies you get here, while well intended, are only general, and may not apply in your case.

9. CT slipped up on me - one day it was just there - a numbness, then pain. Left hand first, I'm right handed, and it is now affecting my right thumb. My right thumb is my main sounding device and it's 81 years old. I'm sure age has nothing to do with this, ;) just mentioning it.

Spoke to my family doctor about this and he recommended the $19 brace from Walmart. My problem came from the technique I used - not keeping my wrist straight. The brace makes the wrist stay straight. I sleep with the braces on each hand now and this gives both of my wrists eight hours of rest each night. It is not a cure, just a delay, but the eight ours of rest is helping.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016