1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WT-550 Scratchy volume pot.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vin_MM_Sabre_79, Mar 9, 2008.

1. This seems to be a common issue with Eden WT550's but I can't find anything on TB about it.

The volume pot is scratchy but only when I'm giving it a signal. ie: turn it when I'm playing: scratches... turn the knob when silent- no scratches.
    Aparently it has something to do with the notched pot. :eyebrow:

BTW I have already dosed it with contact cleaner. No love.

Anyone got this with their Eden? anyone got comments or suggestions?

2. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    one, don't turn the volume up when playing live,
    you can call edens CS and see if you can getr a replacement
    you can find another brand and buy that,other than that,your stuck with it

sorry

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try going over to the eden electronics forum. www.eden-electronics.com and maybe even ask for "lane on bass" 's advice. hes the local answer man.

4. Yeah I've got a thread going there as well.

5. Did you buy the amp from a dealer or privately? If you got it from a dealer, you will need to go back through them if the amp is still under warranty and see if it can be repaired or replaced.

6. Bought from the TB classifieds- it's dated 05/05.
    I'll probably be selling it but I want to make sure its 100% before I do.

7. It's probably out of warranty which means you'll need to take it to a tech to fix. Any Eden dealer should be at least able to point you in the right direction for tech's that know Eden gear.
    Maybe give the Basscentre in Melbourne a call and see if they can assist.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    My 550 did it also.

Now that I think of it, my 400 does too.

9. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    i had the same problem with my wt300, but a little "deoxit" cured it instantly. i applied it with the long nozzle into the small pot ope and then turned the master vigorously for a minute or so. you're using good quality de-oxidiser?

good luck

10. ^^yep- but I don't think its from a dirty pot. If it was just dirt it would be making noise when there is no input signal as well.

My understanding so far is that its a design flaw caused by the notched pot. As it clicks around it kind of breaks and reestablishes contact which creates a static build up. I'm still waiting for a better explanation and solution in the Eden forums.

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I have written a few times about this on the Eden forum. I had until 4 weeks ago a WT-550 (sold it for another Eden head). Mine had the scratchy volume pot. It was mfg'd in 5/05. I called Eden Customer Service and they mailed me a new pot at no charge. I have done some basic board level component replacement in high school (20 years ago) and was able to replace the pot myself in about 20 minutes start to finish. WRT Craig's DeOxIt I was not able to cure the problem with it because the only access the inside of the pot was at the bottom which was up against the circuit board.

If you are not up to doing this yourself any half way decent (which I am not) electronics tech should be able to do so for his minimum fee. I'd say if you pay more than $50 you got hosed.

Don't give up on your 550 it is a smokin' amp. I wish I had not sold mine but that is long story which also involved another amp mfg. with a blue face and come to find out bigger quality problems!

I am stoked that I got another Eden amp and will probably never let it go.

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I just notcied my 550 doing the same thing. It's very subtle though, and I hadn't even noticed the first few months I had it.

I've heard of people fixing this by getting Eden to send them a new pot. I'm not going to worry about mine, though.

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  13. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My nav did exactly the same thing after 3 years. Deoxit and working the pot fixed it. Like you describe, it only made noise when the amp was passing a signal.

14. hmm. maybe I'll give it another swipe. It did seem to improve when I gave it a squirt.
    Lane_on_bass tells me its a static issue though

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    mine did it as well... i figured it's part of the Eden charm...

16. Is your replacement pot notched as well?.. or smooth?

I don't suppose you still have that email address? I've emailed the Aussie distributor for that part.... still waiting.

17. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I have owned 6 edeh heads/preamps. 4/6 had a scratchy master pot when playing.
    Jonathan

18. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA

Also, I have heard that the non US distributers are even slower than the US. Try skipping them and going to the source.

It took me 6 months to get my new eden 210XST cabs DOA speaker replaced. And they were in stock.
    Jonathan

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    my nav master pot allso does this

where can i find deoxit>

20. Actually The Aussie distributors CMI Audio are right on the money. I ordered a replacement part and had it in my hands in 3 days.

The problem is that I don't want to replace it with a part that's going to do exactly the same thing. If the one on the shelf at the Aussie distributor has been sitting there for ..... X years- then it might be just as noisy as the one thats already in there. Eden in the US KNOW that there is a pot issue and have apparently distributed replacements for some users who have contacted them about it. So I'm guessing I can get the good gear there.